The - MPG vs DC5 thread - a battle ofwill and self restraint

dave c

400hp K20
Hi All,

Just thought id put up a post to say how impressed I am with the cars recent fuel economy.

Now I’m not one of those people who often tries for good economy I don’t drive to work etc, the car is just a play thing so I generally drive it for driving sake rather than using it economically.

Anyway, I had to drive to Southport with work so I thought it was time to test the fuel economy.

The best I have done before on a tank of fuel was 360/70 miles, Southport was about 250miles away and I obviously had to go there and back with some extra miles in the middle.

I’d been at TGM during the day swapping my suspension so I set off from there, here’s the stats/mileage…

So off I set, (17:30ish) Sun25th

I brimmed the tank before I left and the plan was to get there and as far back as I could on just one tank.

This was my route…

100 miles in…

Going very well I thought… (unfortunately didn’t think to get food and drink before I set off + I was bursting for a p1ss, didn’t want to stop and start so I pressed on lol) :|

Half Tank…

Quick stop for food, 1 blast through 3rd and 4th to leave the petrol station and then I arrived in Southport…(22:00ish)

Work done some miles in between blah blah blah and back on the road coming back (Mon26th)

Challenge was now on, really pleased with the consumption up to Southport so just needed to see if I could get the same on the way back…

To be honest I had high hopes for making it all the way back but knew I had the smaller “half” of the tank to deal with – (what’s with that? :? )

Still going strong…

This seems to be the recipe for awesome fuel economy, needles pointing in the same direction and horizontal…

Lots of this inside lane action…(yawn)

Spotted a DC5 here…(that took some will power not to chase him)

This was turning into a battle of self restraint…

Plenty of time for pics… (bored!!!)

Quick mile update…

Still going strong…(tbh was starting to think that there was something up with my fuel guage)

Most I have done on a FULL tank before was about this (above)

More pics… - bored

The big 400! Woohoo…

Did I mention absolutely bursting for a piss again but decided to hold it and press on…

WTF… (still going)

Can I make it *thinks*… (that’s a London sign on the M1 btw)

Starting to think that I have a magical car…

At LAST!!!! – light comes on

Ok m’way signs said 3 miles or 30miles to next fill/Service station – that was just before the light came on and I though I owned a car that could not run out of fuel lol

SatNAV to the rescue I botled it and found another petrol station (shell in st Albans)

Closing in on the petrol station but stuck in rush our traffic and beginning to shit myself

Petrol station in the distance whoop whoop id made it and not run out – JUST!

So I got there safe and sound – JUST, not I decided to totally brim the tank again to see how much I had left and so I could work out my fuel economy.

Turns out I had only 2.16 litres left haha proud of that (but wont be doing it again)

Run into shell – pissed for aout 15minutes lol and bought myself a sandwich and a Redbull.

Park up to work out my fuel economy, eat food and then plan my rush hour attack on London…

WTF - *** 43.71mpg *** in a 2ltr sports car capable of 150+mph…simply AMAZING!!!

Arriving back in London… smug in the knowledge I was going to expense at 40p per/mile

Back home and parked up…

Final mile check…

Slight variation between the sat nav and the odometer

All in all – truly amazed by the fuel consumption that is possible with these cars especially when you base it on the performance that is also available – best all-round car imho!

Dave

Rob84

Advanced Member
I wish I had as much self discipline as you mate. I always try to drive sensibly but it just never happens. Theres too many awsome A and B roads in my area so they always "win"

Good thread :D

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Thats amazing. Lol at the fudged top speed!!!

Do you have mods?

Edit: just seen your sig :oops:

garytc78

Advanced Member
the only reason I mentioned it dave is because I've put more than 50l in when I've been totally dry I think Honda tell you 50l is so you've always got a little bit left :)

dave c

400hp K20
garytc78 said:
the only reason I mentioned it dave is because I've put more than 50l in when I've been totally dry I think Honda tell you 50l is so you've always got a little bit left :)
fair point, posted this on TRO too and someone on there said that you can get over 50L in, apparently the lines in between the tank and the filler i think.

Can't argue with you if its been done :wink: :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Cool! thats a good little mpg diary thing you did there :)

I'm off to Plymouth next week, and thats about 231 miles from me (according to google maps) last time I went.... I managed the trip on 3/4 of a tank, no vtec, but at a higher speed than you and included stopping twice.

Just shows you how good this cars MPG is when you want it to be and like you say.... all round package!

jay82

Advanced Member
dave c said:
garytc78 said:
fair point, posted this on TRO too and someone on there said that you can get over 50L in, apparently the lines in between the tank and the filler i think.

Can't argee with you if its been done :wink: :)
its 50L. had to empty my tank before and clean it out, by the way disel nozzel at a petrol station fits the dc5 :oops:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Bollox!

I did 42 in mine on Boxing day and I thought that would bever get beat!! :lol:

omadc5

Advanced Member
Really impressive! No other performance car could get anywere near that!!

JohnnyC

Impressive, good pics.

omadc5 said:
Really impressive! No other performance car could get anywere near that!!
Oh I don't know :D (although my car doesn't have as much 'performance' as a DC5 :cry: )

This car has a 55L fuel tank, what's the DC5's ? 60L ?

MrHanky

Advanced Member
That is fantastic eco driving. I have been trying to get close to that all this week, but failed :(
I just filled up (50.47 litres) and had done 424.6 miles.
Very nervous on the way to work this morning as I had 55 miles ahead of me, and petrol light came on last night, just before I got home. I only overtook one vehicle on 30 mile stretch of M1 that I do this morning :(

But made it. 38.28 MPG

Time for some VTEC tonight, on way home ;)

Mark

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
simply amazed with that :shock:

Best I've ever done is 350 and that was pushing it with 20-30 of those with light on. Had been doing 60-70mph on m-way too so no idea how you managed 450+miles crazy!!!!

Lets see who can do the least amount of miles with 50l :D

Think I worked out 7MPG on track once :oops:

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Lets see who can do the least amount of miles with 50l :D
Mine is 230 miles on 47 litres which is just over 22MPG. :shock:

This current tank I'm taking on the OP, though I'm not going to well, as I've just doing the normal work run this week, though I've done 110 miles and it's reading about 7/8 full, so it's looking good for 400 miles... :D