These costs about right?

integraleo

Advanced Member
Miles to tank for dc5 is bit out,I never get below 260 no matter how hard I drive it. 95% of the time I get bang on 300 miles to a tank full.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
The DC5 likes to drink Shell nitro + so you might have to adjust the price per litre, should get more miles per tank as well unless you are spanking it everywhere......As for the others no idea ;)

T.G.

bennn

Advanced Member
Bits I can see you have got wrong:

30 MPG in a DC5 is roughly 300 miles to a tank which is what I get on average.

I don't think the service costs between an FN2 and a DC5 are that different.

Tax varies on DC5 depending on registration (not just age but how its been registered) Mine is £225 a year, some are £280.

I also think insurance is now grouped out of 50 not 20 but wouldn't have a clue which cars are in which group.

What are you using the spreadsheet for?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
kevinjwiles said:
Im using it to try and help me decide on my next car :)
Drive one...you will want one. lol I know figures play alot these days, but you will soon understand the rush they give far outways any mpg figures. ;)

Good luck with the hunt though,

Erm

Advanced Member
price for fuel is wrong, you need to use super unleaded, preferably v power nitro+

also service cost is too low, if you are doing a proper full service you'll be looking at £200+ to change all the fluids as well which you should really do every 2 years.

bennn

Advanced Member
kevinjwiles said:

One of the biggest costs you've not picked up on in your spreadsheet is depreciation.

DC5's seem to have held their money very well, whereas FN2's have dropped like stones.

Mullyace

Advanced Member
As said the fuel is out, last time I filled up it cost £68 with shell v-power and I got exactly 300 miles, it's always 300 miles for me no matter how I drive it.

kevinjwiles

Advanced Member
It's jut a rough guide :p

I have had a DC2 and loved it but it felt quite out dated. I'm sort of stuck as need a car but all the dc5s are like 60 miles away so looking at one to then make a decsion is not easy.

Plus I spoke to Bell (my insurance company) and they want an extra £200 PCM for the DC5 over the next 8 months making my premium £2400 for 8 months ;(

truupR

Advanced Member
Surely you can get a friend to sort you out with transport to go view a few tegs? :)

also £2400 for 8 months - I'd be looking at something else bud. May as well get something that's not costing you the earth on insurance and wait a few years until you're in a position where a years insurance will cost you closer to £500 :/ Who knows, maybe the FL's will be down in price (its what I'm hoping at least!)

owh and just had a thought re-reading your post whilst typing this - imo, Bell isn't really geared toward insuring imported cars. You'd be a thousand times better off financially ringing places like Greenlight, Adrianflux etc. etc. and getting a quote first before you even CONSIDER buying your next car

kevinjwiles

Advanced Member
Yeah was just going to give Greenlight a buss before :) I've seen a few tegs but know so little about them that I don't know what I am looking for etc

Foo King Kwik

Advanced Member
Have a read of the buyers guide on here. Should help you a lot with what to look out for.

I'd definitely be looking for another car though if youve been quoted 2400 for 8 months insurance!!! That sort of thing should be on crimewatch.

How old are you? Definitely try Greenlight, theyre normally very competitive with prices.

Oh btw...DC5 over anything VAG, all day long!

kevinjwiles

Advanced Member
These were average costs I took from various forum posts, the guide is really just to help me try and gauge a solution

Ill be going from a Leon FR were I spend say £40 a week in fue to the Dc5

MaxJ

Advanced Member
kevinjwiles said:
This is just me, but if I were trying to decide between a hot hatch / a performance saloon, the last thing I would be taking into account would be mpg and service costs (unless they were ridiculously bad)

Buy something you're happy with because it's the best choice for you, then you won't mind spending money on it. That's what it's all about, not settling for something you're going to get a few more miles a tank from xthumbup

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
£2400 for insurance. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I take it you're quite young?

As above, I'd maybe look at something else and build your no claims up as that is a ludicrous amount on car insurance.

There is a reason why it's expensive. These are quick cars as are any car for that matter in or around the group 20 area. It's not worth paying all that money if you're only young. Enjoy your life a bit mate and don't piss it all away on cars.

My life coaching advice there for you! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
kevinjwiles said:
Hey Man

I am 23, 24 in 6 weeks I have 4 years NCB working towards 5th as we speak.
I would try another insurance company, I'm insuring mine at 23 with some basic mods declared for under half that.

S'arrt

I approve of your spreadsheet - I do the same thing all the time..

As bennn mentioned on here.. The DC5 is good for depreciation. That could be a winner in future - although VW are good too.

But never underestimate the value of your happiness when you drive a DC5 chassis designed to be fun.. Not designed to fulfil many purposes (compromised)..