Things to look out for?

kevinjwiles

Advanced Member
Hey

I am considering selling my 235bhp Leon FR TDI and getting a DC5, I have previously owned a DC2 which I had a lot of issues with.

I am no mechanic and was wondering if I could ask a few questions

1) I drive around 250 miles a week would on average what do you think the fuel would be?

2) I am not sure if anyone has driven an FR but would I see a lot more fun in the DC5?

3) Are there any common issues I should look out for?

What on average do people think I'd pay for insurance? I am 23, 24 in April 3 NCB

I've being looking a t

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-integra-type-r-dc5/1048022963nt

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-integra-type-r-dc5/1049147169

Any help and advice would be good

truupR

Advanced Member
Hey Kev. First link doesn't work for me. Second one looks pretty smart, nice to see its been maintained at TGM too! There's a huge first time buyers guide that Mark just linked (tw@, i went out of my way in a new tab to get that link! stole my glory :( lol)

Just look out for all the normal things. Make sure you spend a considerable amount of time looking at each panel on the car, it's very easy to get distracted when you see the car in the flesh to want to fire it up right away and see how it drives. I spent around 20/30 mins on each of my viewings just walking the outside of the car/looking at the underside.

Rust is obviously a big one to check for. See if the under seal has been re-done at all. If you can try and find out who imported it, if it's someone like torque-gt then you'll know they under seal all their imports to a certain standard before they sell them but needs re-doing after a few years iirc. Other things are leaky boot seals. Check for signs of rust anywhere inside the boot.

History again is another obvious one. Don't be afraid to ask the questions. I had a rather uncomfortable conversation with one of the owners when I was viewing as he totally lied about the service history in the advert and had absolutely no paperwork to back it up when I arrived. Check all the basic fluids etc etc all the normal, boring stuff.

Insurance - ALWAYS PHONE! never used comparison sites. I don't believe any of them have the dc5 in their 'databases', only the dc2 - so any quotes you get I'm guessing would be incorrect. I use greenlight personally. Theres loads of others listed on this site. Not really sure how much you'd be looking to pay, too many variables involved and I had hugely contrasting quotes from different companies (some were quoting £600+ more than others)

Fuel - depends on your driving and how much you like to vtec. I get around 300 miles to the tank which is about £60. More if I drive calmly, less if I can't help going up to 9k revs :twistednod

Would it be more fun than your Leon TDI? Absolutely no doubt (in my very humble oppinion) :) I've driven quite a few performance cars, some with quite abit more power than my teg but even after a few months of ownership, still puts a smile on my face and gets under my skin almost every drive.

Hope you come to the 'right' decision soon lol :D

ste01

Advanced Member
Go for a test drive in one and see what you think.

I got my DC5 in October and have kept my tuned Ibiza FR tdi as a daily. They are both fun to drive, the teg because of the vtec engine and how you feel like you are properly involved in driving it, where as the tdi is fun because it's a total sleeper with its ridiculous turn of pace and how it just goes like a train. On the roads, day to day the tdi can be a much quicker car.

Fuel is good on the teg, just stick it in as high a gear as you can for the speed and you can easily get over 40mpg. I've managed close to 50mpg on a long motorway trip :D but just like your FR, put the foot down and it'll get thirsty!

kahn_v

Advanced Member
Hey dude
I've got a white leon fr 170 and a dc5

The leon on long journeys is good it all depends on how you drive it,

The leon gets you around 400 miles where as the teg would get you 250 miles to a tank if your lucky lol.

Tbh the fr does give me better smiles as it's boosted and handles well, they're both in similar market if I'm honest. The leon chews civic type rs all day long, I do it just for fun to see thir faces.

ste01

Advanced Member
JezW said:
Perhaps...if you were towed for half of the trip ;)
I'm just good at Eco driving :) managed to push 54mpg out of my old civic type s (the k20a3 style) a few years ago when I used to commute sheffield to leeds every day. That was heavier than the DC5 too.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
kahn_v said:
Hey dude
I've got a white leon fr 170 and a dc5

The leon on long journeys is good it all depends on how you drive it,

The leon gets you around 400 miles where as the teg would get you 250 miles to a tank if your lucky lol.

Tbh the fr does give me better smiles as it's boosted and handles well, they're both in similar market if I'm honest. The leon chews civic type rs all day long, I do it just for fun to see thir faces.
That is not my experience at all, if it was all motorway miles the DC5 should get you roughly 400 miles to a tank, I get almost 250 to a tank just running around town.

bennn

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
That is not my experience at all, if it was all motorway miles the DC5 should get you roughly 400 miles to a tank, I get almost 250 to a tank just running around town.
This.

My DC5 is a weekend car and I still somehow manage to get around 300 miles to each tank. Oddly it seems to be a bit better on fuel than my EP3.