Think my DC5 is possessed - Nasty groan at 4.5k in every gear

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Now that I can drive the Teg in straight line following a full suspension replacement one has discovered a new problem with the car, seeming demonic possession of the engine bay... ¬¬

At 4.5k in every gear there's an incredibly loud groan that permeates the entire car.

I've uploaded a video here:

http://youtu.be/x-cvIr1iwAA

It's a tinny, metallic, very loud groan that comes in at 4.5k RPM and then disappears afterwards/ before that RPM level. Unfortunately the cabin noise drowns out how loud it is in the video, but it's really effing loud. Is this the fabled heat shield? It sounds way too loud for just a simple heat shield?

Car has a standard manifold, Toda Exhaust, Tegiwa M Intake, and Spoon 2-1 Decat.

If anyone's got any suggestions then I'd be very grateful before I hire an exorcist. :xhaha: :evil:

Or find a large skip to drive it into.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
The metallic sound might be the heatshield above the driveshaft but it shouldn't make a groaning sound... Check there first.

Advanced Member
Ta mate, would it be safe to remove the drive shaft heat shield and give the car a drive with it off to see if it's that? Is there a problem with removing it permanently if it is that causing it?

bee123

Advanced Member
I had a vibration at 4000RPM and it turned out to be one of the bolts that hold the spark plug cover in place, the threds had been stripped and it was just rattling about in the hole.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Ta mate, would it be safe to remove the drive shaft heat shield and give the car a drive with it off to see if it's that? Is there a problem with removing it permanently if it is that causing it?
Yeah it will be fine just remove it and take it for a drive... Usually it just rattles so it might not be the cause of the groaning but it's worth a try.

Edit: just watched the video & it sounds like it could be your IVtec cover rattling on the inlet manifold... Check that too.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I put thick metal washers on my I-VTEC Cover bolts (underneath) to cure a rattling I was getting on revving the car, that worked... but I too sometimes get this weird metal growl around a certain RPM. My thinking is the heat shield too.

Advanced Member
Cheers fellas, I'll jack the car up tomorrow and get that heat shield off first, if not I'll move onto the iVtec cover and then move onto a 4 pack of Buds to drown my sorrows :)

Stylesa

Advanced Member
does the noise occur at 4.5k rpm when you are sitting in neutral? if so you could get someone to rev it and you could try and source the noise with your head in the engine bay?

jamielee_8888

I have the same problems, 4.5k revs but no so much in neutral...I have checked the drive shaft heat shield, this was loose but once tightened made no difference, all the exhaust heat shield seems fine...the vetec cover is also not the issue...any thoughts as it is driving me up the wall :( thankss Jay

madrab

Advanced Member
jamielee- i would still look at the drive shaft heat shield, normally tighting the bolts don't make a difference as its those daft washer things that have gone, i would try removing it all together and see if that makes a difference

jamielee_8888

madrab...i know the washers and they are a pain and it was loose untill i added another two washers to the original and there is no play in the shield now but will remove it and try to single it out :(

Advanced Member
Right managed to defy death and get underneath the car, carefully managing to avoid hitting the jack with my bloated turkey stomach, anyway...

Appears I don't have a heat shield? I presumed it would be roughly the same as the EP3 one and bolted using the socket in the left of the below photo?

Checked the RSX Workshop manual and I'm sure it's missing. In which case:
  1. I better source one
  2. Any additional ideas as to the noise?

Checked the ivtec cover and it's fine and isn't the source of any rattle.

I noticed a crack in the heatshield:

Not sure if that will make a huge amount of difference?

Any advice would be great, really starting to get sick of this car, literally not one day has it been driven since i've owned without something being fornicateed.

Advanced Member
Thanks Larz but it doesn't have a bung I'm afraid.

The baffle has gone on the Toda but that's a separate noise I think, so will probably sell the Toda and try something else, or have the silencer repaired.

larz

Advanced Member
Sounds like a bung in the video :(... Man, so sorry you're having all these problems...

Advanced Member
Update:

After exploring numerous different avenues with heatshilds, mounts, intake mountings etc.. it's finally been fixed today!

Turns out it was the Toda exhaust. Both baffles had gone, and must have been causing some kind of resonation through the exhaust system as i've replaced it with a fully functioning Fujitsubo RM01A and it's cleared up the noise a treat. Has also stopped a load of other rattles and knocks that were occuring.

So happy right now, the car's actually drivable as it should be. :)

Finally all the hard work and expense has started to pay off and I can see an end in sight.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Did you find the car was sluggish in top gear on low revs at all? Or struggled up hill?