Thinkin of goin to the dark side?

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Had a chance to drive a mates EVO the other day. Was quite impressed. Been thinkin of gettin a new car for a few months now but been struggling with what to get (was thinkin 350z few months ago but it's not that practical).

In the past I did a lot of mileage which kinda ruled an EVO out. Now GF has a company car so we use that pretty much all the time so my mileage has dropped considerably.

I am also considering an FD2. My probs with this tho are mainly to do with availability of parts (e.g accident repair which has been a pain in the ass for the DC5) and of price versus performance. I could do with having a look at one but I don't know any close to the north west. I do like the fact that not many will be around.

I enquired with Litchfield (sent Andy at 200bhp pm and email first but no response). Price is as on Web. Can get the Mugen upgrades (which look ace) as per options price. I haven't worked the total cost but it doesn't look cheap. The red Mugen RR FD2 price was 32k (assuming he can get one) which TBH was cheaper than I was expecting it to be but perhaps still a little on the expensive side. This price would however also get a new/nearly new EVO IX FQ-360.

I am beginning to think a period of EVO ownership could be on the cards (or maybe I should keep saving towards a ridiculously priced house).

JT3173

Advanced Member
Evo MR FQ 360 vs Mugen RR FD2, well I think everyone who is a performance car nut has to own one once.

But saying that, how many people will have a Mugen RR FD2? I would have the FD2, cheaper to run, and insure I think. Just dont crash it!

Plus, you could turbo or Supercharge it when the kits out for them, can be long until someone does it, then you have the blistering performance with the rareity too!

conoroneill

Advanced Member
JT3173 said:
Plus, you could turbo or Supercharge it when the kits out for them, can be long until someone does it, then you have the blistering performance with the rareity too!
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
FD2 8)

Won't handle as good as the Evo, not as fast, but IMO a better looking car, uses less juice and is far far more RARE over here..... in blue :lol:

ally_mac

Advanced Member
I went from a Dc5 to a 05 Evo IX GT and have to admit I do love it. You can't really compare the 2 cars with each other as they are in totally different classes. The evo handles really well for stock setup, so with a full suspension setup i say it will handle really really. It also handy having a bit of torque under the right foot and not always having to drop down the gears. Running cost, im currently getting about 220 out of a tank of 40litres

mikegsi

Staff member
im happy in the knowledge that i made the right choice moving onto my evo from a much loved dc5

i looked about and bought one that had all the bits done to it that i would have done and saved a little there, performance is unreal, fuel is not much worse than my teg was in vtec

even after over 2 months of ownership im still just getting used to the handling, been taking it steady adn getting accustomed to the characteristics, and all i can say is wow

just do it, but dont expect to get straight in one and be able to drive it the way you do the teg!

conoroneill

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
just do it, but dont expect to get straight in one and be able to drive it the way you do the teg!
Hmmm. I'd unreservedly disagree with that as I've driven an Evo 6, 7 and 8 and they were piss easy to drive fast.

The teg is an awful lot harder to master.

Most Evos you can just keep your foot down throughout most corners and it'll stick and if you do get it all wrong (as 99% of Evo drivers do) the traction and torque will pull you out and make up for your driver errors.

It's the kind of car that makes mediocre drivers look good.

They are powerful though. But they lack finesse.

keevster

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
mikegsi said:
Hmmm. I'd unreservedly disagree with that as I've driven an Evo 6, 7 and 8 and they were piss easy to drive fast.

Most Evos you can just keep your foot down throughout most corners and it'll stick and if you do get it all wrong (as 99% of Evo drivers do) the traction and torque will pull you out and make up for your driver errors.

They are powerful though. But they lack finesse.

Have to agree with this. AYC in the EVO saves the day for a lot of mediocre drivers. My mate has a Evo 6, been in it a fair bit of his 7 years of ownership and watched the way he drives it, approach a corner, steer, compress the gas pedal :lol: . Dont get me wrong in this, with cars like such an understanding and a certain amount of skill is required, but with the EVo, if it goes Tits up, then the AYC does help a great deal,
However in the Teg, with a not so good driver and a tits up senario, usually ends up in a tits up senario :lol: , ie into a field backwards.

Out of most cars i have been in though, the EVO still impresses me No end, and i would probably have one in a minute if i was not so inspired by the DC5. Probably at some point in the near future i will change my car again, and it would probably be an EVO. In my eyes if you are looking for better performance than a DC5, then there aint anywhere else to go, unther than an EVO.

Paul :wink:

mikegsi

Staff member
conoroneill said:
mikegsi said:

after over two years of teg ownership and 'mastering' how it handled, jumping straight into an evo and giving it the same would be stupid.... completely different car with different characteristics, as with all cars you need to get to know the car a little before you can start flinging it into corners, those that do end up off the road....... the problem with a lot of evo's is that they are confidence inspriring, and as you say can make a pap driver look good, but again with all cars you can only push them so far before they'll go, and when they go you are going a lot quicker than you would be in other cars as they are so confidence inspiring that you just keep your foot planted....

might just be me then but i like to get used to a car, no matter how good it may be before i start chucking it round bends, after just over two months now im starting to push it as i would have done the teg, but again in a different way, factoring lag on bends is a big thing which lots get wrong, i dont want to, i enjoy parking up without a mark/dent/hole in my car

conoroneill said:
if only it was that simple mate, as im sure as a competant driver you know theres a lot more to taking corners at high speed than just sticking your foot down and hoping for the best, counting on the fact that traction adn torque will pull you through it

conoroneill said:
wholeheartidly agree with you mate, until it invariably goes wrong

conoroneill said:
They are powerful though
and so easily tunable for bigger numbers

conoroneill said:
But they lack finesse.
in your opinion

never thought id see the day of me defending an evo after calling them allsorts in the past, but after owning one my viewpoint is completely different

ally_mac

Advanced Member
keevster said:
Have to agree with this. AYC in the EVO saves the day for a lot of mediocre drivers. My mate has a Evo 6, been in it a fair bit of his 7 years of ownership and watched the way he drives it, approach a corner, steer, compress the gas pedal :lol: . Dont get me wrong in this, with cars like such an understanding and a certain amount of skill is required, but with the EVo, if it goes Tits up, then the AYC does help a great deal,
However in the Teg, with a not so good driver and a tits up senario, usually ends up in a tits up senario :lol: , ie into a field backwards.

Out of most cars i have been in though, the EVO still impresses me No end, and i would probably have one in a minute if i was not so inspired by the DC5. Probably at some point in the near future i will change my car again, and it would probably be an EVO. In my eyes if you are looking for better performance than a DC5, then there aint anywhere else to go, unther than an EVO.

Dont know if I totally agree with this. The evo is an excellant handling car but it is just not a matter turning into a corner, nailing the gas and if it goes wrong the AYC will pull you out. Evos can be quite tail happy if you really push them and they can shap the tail a bit if your not careful. I have owned my evo for 4weeks now and am only starting to push it hard into the corners, but thats probably just me as I like to get the feel of a car before I push it hard. Evos can make a ok driver look a lot better than what he is but in certain conditions (greasy, wet roads) they can soon make a wee man outta you

Beside AYC is for people who can't drive :lol: do what i did, get yourself a GT which has the properly LSD in it and none of this AYC so you are in total control of the car

keevster

Advanced Member
I have been in a few EVOs, couple over 400+bhp and yes they can be tail happy, if you lift off the accelerator mid bend :lol: , or going extremely too quick into a bend :shock: , then no amount of AYC/ABC/DEF :lol: is gona save you :lol:

When i made my comment "approach a corner, steer, compress the gas pedal " check out the smiley face after it. As i explained further in my post it aint just as easy as that, if i had meant it as such, i would have stated something like such, "stick a 17 year old behind the wheel point him at a bend tell him to floor it, whahey :lol: "

No we know it aint that easy. I have driven a wide range of quick cars including a 6, any performance car requires skill, experience(loads off) oodles of confidence, a bit of cool and sometimes a bit of balls.

Evo's can be driven well with probably most folks who drive 200+bhp cars either be it RWD/4WD/FWD who have a bit of confidence in there driving abilities, as the EVO is a very hard car to beat on B roads, so they dont have to be going silly quick to make good progress, but usually quick enough to be faster than most of the hot hatches on todays roads

The point basically is, throwing an EVO into a bend at say 80mph, and throwing a DC5 into a bend at the same speed, i'd fancy my chances in the EVO if you begin to loose traction, thats the point i am trying to make. They are more forgiving(obviously not at silly speeds) due to there set up.

keendeano

I had an Evo VI and loved it, it nearly bankrupt me though, it returned approx 80-125 miles to a tank, ate a clutch and needed to be modified to get the best out of it, if you don't want AYC, go for the RSX version which is a ltd edition with a fixed rear diff and LSD up front, also has a hybrid Td05, they are expensive to run, but when you consider it's near super car performance 0-100 sprint, they a bargain, mine ran approx 380bhp with the right mods, running over 1.5 bar, my brother is selling his Focus Rs to buy an Evo VI, they are amazing machines, if he gets one, I'm going to be very tempted :)

Ezza

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
I was looking at a Evo VI Tommi Mak edition in the week :oops: :lol:
You thinking of selling your DC5 then.........? If so first dibs on BC bonnet :lol: :lol:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Ezza said:
milano_chris said:
I was looking at a Evo VI Tommi Mak edition in the week :oops: :lol:
You thinking of selling your DC5 then.........? If so first dibs on BC bonnet :lol: :lol:
I really don't know mate. I get bored of cars easily. I took a Focus ST out in the week as I really like the look and I thought that perhaps the lazy power is what I like, but I was bored and it felt slow compared to my DC5. Plus I wasn't impressed by the interior, I pressed the AC button and it felt as if it was going to fall off. Yes the ride was lovely compared to mine, but I don't really give a toss about that. I got back in my DC5 and it felt 100 times better so that's not an option now :lol: Also been looking at S2K's as I've wanted one for about 5 years now!

Ezza

Advanced Member
Wow so you did consider selling your DC5 :shock: Ive driven a Evo 8 MR320 and i was quite impressed with that but the interior i wasnt! Power was great to have there though, cant beat the sound of a turbo!

But if you do decide to sell your car then pm me re: your bonnet 8)

phil r

Advanced Member
thinking of going over to the darkside

come on guys , evos are great but sorry the the dc5 ticks all the rest of the boxes especially on looks , fuel economy , plenty powerful enough on the roads we drive , nearly bought a evo 6 back before I bought my gto & yes it still is the most impressive car I have driven for exceleration & handling up to 100 then the gto would have taken over, would cruise at 120 at about at about 4500 revs awsome top speed car, & it would stick to the road like a tank , never thought I would like another car as much as that , but this is more of a drivers car to me & you really have to hang on to them even the mrs is in love with the dc." good luck though" xthumbup