Thinking of getting a DC5...

rick c

Advanced Member
Hi all :D

Don't know WHY I never considered a DC5 as my next car but I just have and I'm oh so in love with the idea 8)

I drive a 306 Rallye at the moment (175bhp, 1065kgs without fuel) and I of course considered an EVO but I think it'll be too expensive and I'll end up not being able to do regular trackdays etc. Been thinking about a Focus RS but when I saw the specs for the DC5 Type R I was smitten :D

Any of you guys tried to lighten it? Can anyone hazard a guess as to how much weight you could lose without too much trouble? Spare wheel, back seats, parcel shelf etc, S/S exhaust etc. The prospect of 200bhp/tonne has been a long ambition of mine, and if it can be achieved with a N/A FWD car then that'll be awesome :wink:

rick c

Advanced Member
Oh got some videos of my car here if anyone's interested CLICKY

Anyone got any videos of the DC5? Been looking around for ages but can't find any :(

truffs

hello mate, did the idea appear after watching the BTCC by any chance :D
All videos will be on the trackday posts of us racing (and crashing in some peoples cases :oops: )
The best person to speak to about weight loose is Jonster who has made it his own personal religion :D Most question can be answered by the numerous posts, if you cant find what you are looking for put up a a post and this friendly lot will help you along the way.

HTH

rick c

Advanced Member
Thanks very much, nice to see a friendly forum :D

No, didn't see the BTCC :( look forward to seeing the videos :)

Actually I've known about the DC2 for a while but never realised the DC5 got such a hike in power, and certainly didn't realise it was as light as it is. I'm a bit anti-heavy cars - just don't see the point why cars today have to weigh 1300+ kgs :(

I'll try and work my way through the posts, cheers :wink:

truffs

take one out for a test drive and you will also see that they corner like they are on rails :!:
I agree this is a very friendly froum but its a small forum due to the rareity of the car so be patient if you put a post up, people will answer eventually, when i bought mine i couldn't have done without it :!:

rick c

Advanced Member
Just watched some videos from some of your track days and I'm very impressed :D

Definitely going to sort out a test drive

Gotta buy a house first though which is a shame :( it'll be a fair wait before I can pick one up.

Cheers mate :wink:

rick c

Advanced Member
Wow I'd love one of them 8)

Unfortunately I do have to use the car for the road too (95% I'd say)

I've stripped the back seats out of mine and i'm happy with it, but if I strip the soundproofing its a little too much, though that's probably because my exhaust isn't too well :roll:

I'll definitely go for a DC5 without air-con, and I'll be a bit miffed that it's got electric windows, but I guess I'll be able to live with it :)

truffs

you need aircon withthe summers that we are getting at teh moment. Besides i think aircon is standard with the DC% :?:

rick c

Advanced Member
truffs said:
you need aircon withthe summers that we are getting at teh moment. Besides i think aircon is standard with the DC% :?:
No way, aircon is a definite no no for me :(

That's 10kgs thats completely un-necessary IMO

If I'm too hot just wind the window down lol

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Welcome aboard Rick

Mines going through weight loss atm as well (aircon has been removed!), along with other mods....

I would say, 200bhp per tone is well achievable NA.

Mike

truffs

good luck in the summer :D while im sat there in the traffic jam to one of the btcc meets during summer with my lovely air condition on i will think of you behind me sweltering with your windows down :lol: :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
Welcome brother !!!

I think its more like 50Kgs for the air-con but I could be wrong. I've left mine in for the moment. Orders from her in doors.

The insulation is already thin / light.

Do a search on my posts and you'll probably see me going on about some wieght saving mod.

Cheers,

Jon

Duncs

with regard to the leccy windows these days they are lighter than the old lumps of metal you have to wind up and down, it is only a small motor and a wire.
most rally cars retain them because they are lighter, they also would drill the mechanism to shave weight as well
oh and welcome :D

rick c

Advanced Member
Cheers for the welcome guys :wink: I've never had aircon (Saxo VTS, 106 GTi, 306 Rallye) so it wouldn't be missed, if you see what I mean.

Also we removed the aircon from my mate's supra and believe me when you're holding a 10kgs a/c unit and all the associated piping and rad, you start to get a dislike for them :evil: :lol:

But to be fair the Teggy is a monster of a car a/c or not. Can't wait :wink: