Thinking of gettting a 'teg...

Benneh

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
Well at least your trying, i got my DC5 when i was 23 and i think i got a 950 quote for my first year with my accident and only a years no claims at the time.

I was with admiral for years, that 950 was admiral aswell. Have you tried one of their sister companies? Both Bell and Elephant are part of the same group (as well as Diamond) and i tended to have some good luck playing them off against each other. Nice thing about them is they actually have the correct car in their database instead of having the 1.8 DC2R.

I'm now with Churchill this year for both of my cars, i got a multicar policy which enabled me to have a 15% discount. I'm now paying >£400 for insurance for a year.
I may be down but I'm not out just yet ;)

I've been with Admiral since I passed 4 and a half years ago, always beaten every competitor price come renewal so I can't really fault them so far!

I did try both Bell and Elephant online quickly before I nipped out earlier, but Bell only recognised the DC2 I think - may have to give them a ring tomorrow evening! Got in touch with a couple of independent insurers and brokers from back home in Norfolk and will likely hear from them over the next couple of days too. Don't think it helps too much that my permanent address is still in Norwich yet I'll be living up in Edinburgh until the end of May due to the training I'm doing! Just adds more ball-ache if nothing else!

I am determined though! I'll not let this slip away easily!

Although one of my mates did suggest just buying an EP3 and running that for year to at least meet the "power experience" criteria of some underwriters. I just looked at him blankly and laughed - I'd get in the car everyday knowing it's not a '5 and I just wouldn't enjoy it!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I had an EP3 to start with, and in many cases the same as others too. It's not a bad car by any means, far from it. But now they are becoming common and I know it's not a Teg, but sometimes we have to walk before we can run.

What was your previous car if you don't mind me asking?

Try putting someone with more experience on your own policy as a named driver. That should get the price down a smidge. Means You are still the main driver so insurance wont bat an eyelid with regards to being fraudulent.

I know its frustrating but the best things come to those who wait. I wouldn't want to hear you say you had a teg, paid through the roof for insurance, then binned it due to in experience, and with the crappy weather planned for November to March, then struggle to get anything decent for a few years after. (I'm not judging you or anything, just trying to raise awareness) Do you understand what I mean? Hope so as I really don't mean to cause any offence. :)

Heard of too many horror stories lately.

Nickyyy

Advanced Member
Make sure you add your parents onto the policy for the DC5. Should bring it down with Admiral.

I'm 21 and insured with greenlight no issues, though I had a few DC2's when I was 20. So that's why I got accepted.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
As above, i'm 21 and insured with Greenlight, but only because I had an EP3 for over a year before that and an EP2 for a year before that. Showed progression apparently.

What other cars have you driven OP?

bennn

Advanced Member
Whats to stop someone just telling them they've had something similar before, not really a way of the insurance company checking is there?

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
I waited till I was 25, got a quote with Adrian flux at 21 tho, Worth the 4 years wait :). And what jimmer sed is right. Even if you buy an ep3 keep it clean and sell it on after the year.

Thing I would say with insurance ben is its all good telling them it to get the policy, but if something should happen, and I'm sure they have a national data base of insurers boa boa boa and found out, you wouldnt be covered. Quick to take your money not so quick to pay out lol.

Benneh

Advanced Member
Finally found a quote that I think is more acceptable - and mod friendly too! - so I think perseverance has paid off!! Just need to move some money around now and agree a price with the seller I think ;)

For interest - my only previous car that I have owned is my little 1.4 306 that I bought a few weeks before passing my test back in 2009! But since then I've also had an Insignia as a company car and driven one mates Corsa VXR and another mates 350z quite a few times (talking weeks, not single day things). I was also put through paramedic driver training at the same time as having the Insignia - I worked for the NHS and wanted to do the course for the experience more than anything - but it wasn't certificated as I wasn't clinical staff, just an IT contractor ;)

So hopefully by the latter part of next week (if not sooner) I'll be a proud new owner of a 'teg! :xcheers:

bennn

Advanced Member
Yes I guess so but there isn't anything in your insurance schedule to say you've got previous experience of driving similar cars so can't really see how they could refuse cover, but as you say best safe than sorry.

In your position I would probably opt for an EP3 and have that a few years first. I had a premier edition EP3 and it is the best car I've had so far, although having said that I'm picking up a DC5 on Saturday :)

TheH

I get bored of cars quiet easily and I have mine 11 months now and everytime i drive it it make me smile!reading what the rest of the guys said their all absolutly right so im not goin to repeat them but i was like you i wanted an s2000 first but went for the dc5 and durin the summer a mate of mine bought a great JDM s2000 so i took it for a weekend,great car and everything but wasnt i glad i bought the dc5!
And having a great forum site like this makes any problems you may get,if any,easily sorted and lots of info on here with great lads(and ladies) so best of luck with it,happy motoring!

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Congrats Benneh - look forward to seeing pics of your new pride & joy :) :)
Glad you got the insurance sorted out ok too, who did you go with in the end?

Benneh

Advanced Member
Ended up with Brentacre (after a bit of trouble with the telephone!). Worked out to just over £1200 with all mods (and any future ones except for forced induction) declared and covered. Not too bad in my opinion given the circumstances!

Now I just have a horrible few days to wait for the money to clear in my account before I go and put the rest on the 'teg!

Over the moon doesn't come close! :D

Foo King Kwik

Advanced Member
Benneh said:
That's me just put a deposit down! :xcheers:
Congrats mate :)

I too am on the look out for a Teg and again, like you, im 21. Ive had what I suppose you'd call 'fast' cars since I was 18. E46 330ci Sport & now a mk2 focus st2. Im with admiral with a multi car policy (also got a vw bora pd130 as a daily). Think it works out that I pay 650 quid for the focus (with mods declared) and 500 for the bora. Im absolutely dreading ringing admiral and seeing what the price will be :(

Got my heart well and truely set on the 5 so really really hope admiral can sort me out ok.

Enjoy your car!

coconat

Advanced Member
Brentacre are an awesome lot, went from a 1.2 Corsa to my Teg as my second car and they not only insured me but beat Admiral by £450 and aren't charging me an arm and a spleen to insure my mods :) bunch of nice guys on the phone too! glad you got it sorted chuck

Benneh

Advanced Member
If Admiral don't play ball, it's definitely worth checking some of the insurers mentioned in this thread, or in the insurance section of the forum. I'd expect Greenlight would be able to provide a competitive quote based on your car history alone!

Should hopefully be picking it up next week! Can't wait! :D

Benneh

Advanced Member
Well after lots of to'ing and fro'ing, the money is finally in my account! Don't think I'll ever be using Tesco for financial products in the future after this experience!

Driving my old car back down to Norwich tomorrow evening, and should be picking up the 'teg on Monday evening!

Genuinely can't wait and haven't been this excited about something for a long, long time! :xcheers: \:D/