Thoughts on long 6th gear with 5.3 FD?

cmhshek

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Just looking for some reviews of this set up.

I've got the spoon 5.3 FD waiting to go in, just not 100% sure about the longer 6th.

I've read it goes well with it, but I kind of like how it shifts through the revs and I can easily overtake in 6th at the moment.

Would the 5.3 and longer 6th affect this much? And is it a considerable drop when shifting from 5th to 6th?

Much appreciated :)

Chris

integraleo

Advanced Member
If I had stayed na this is the set up I would have gone for. Let's be honest how many times are u going to be at top of fifth gear flat out needing 6th to keep pulling? Longer 6th is for all those times your cruising to and from work giving you good mpg and quiet cruising.

beppe786

Beppe
Could be wrong.. someone running one could confirm

God knows at 70mph will be reving its balls off, so definitely need longer 6th gear

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've got the longer ep3 6th in mine but then I have the 5.46 so saw me back to 155 from 140. I suspect 5.3 would be 155 anyway with oem 6th so if case then probably not an issue. The only other consideration is lower rpm at cruising speed but every car is different here depending on exhaust setup and whether yours resonates worse at 3,500 or 3,800 for example so it's hard to say . I just wear ear plugs so no problem haha

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mike.williams

Advanced Member
I wish i did the ep3 6th when i installed my 5.33fd. No track ivebeen on yet has needed 6th gear. Butits certainly ideal for cruising. Should drop 6th gear rpm back down to the original at 70mph

integraleo

Advanced Member
I have ep3s 6th Gear in mine on oem final drive ( thought why not while box was apart) and it's made barely any difference. At 60mph oem 6th was at 3000rpm and with ep3s 6th gear it's at 2800rpm. Can't really notice the difference to be honest

MrRy

Advanced Member
I have this setup. I save 200rpm at 70MPH with the 5.33 FD. Glad I did. In hindsight, I would have gone for the 5.46 FD but alas, the Spoon 5.33 only cost me a few hundred new via an offer. Even though my route to work and back barely allows me to use 6th gear, I get 40+ extra miles to each tank. Love it.

cmhshek

Advanced Member
Thanks guys, I'll definitely get one fitted then.

I picked up the Spoon for cheap as well, otherwise I probably would've went for the MFactory 5.4.

Would this have been more worthwhile do you think?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I'd stick with the 5.3; I would of had it been in market when I purchased my 5.46. Such a cracking mod for these motors

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
What about an even more agressive FD than a 5.46 such as a 5.83 or a 6.33, has no one done this yet?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
You'd only go down that route for very specific comp application. Would be ridiculous on the roads. There is a vid on YouTube with a 6 FD on a rally ep and you can see a quick shifting sequential dog is essential