Thoughts on TEGIWA??

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Yeah Tegiwa do Torque Dampers... They look like Spoon ones.. I think there about £60.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
Flexi's can fail for a multitude of reasons. Without knowing the car setup, driving style or how hard/long it's driven...

Everyone knows that Tegiwa have proven themselves so far to = value for money. However there are a number of people who will not buy their products for a number of reasons:
  • Principle of copying another manufacturers product after they've spend ££££'s on R&D
  • Brand snobbery
  • The finer details of certain products. Example No.1 - there is nothing wrong with your carbon fibre goods, they are up there with many manufacturers. However, if we are talking top grade, the finish really doesn't compare with the likes of Mugen, J's Racing, GruppeM etc. Is the extra premium worth it? To some it is. To some it's most definitely not. Example No. 2 - Why is "Tegiwa" upside down on you induction hoses?
  • etc
  • etc
I'm not having a pop at Tegiwa, there's a gap in the market that they've filled and the performance of their products is doing the business. However let's not get the rose tinted glasses out and say that every aspect of their products are better than the originals. They may eventually prove to be in some cases, but I think "prove" is the key word here if people are going so far as to generalise that their products are better.

QFT

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
Which is great if you don't mind waiting 12 months for a 2nd hand one to become available. At least Tegiwa's are instantly available.

I have a first edition Tegiwa exhaust manifold because 2nd edition weren't available at the time. Tegiwa themselves switched because the quality of their original manifolds wasn't up their standards but in saying that I haven't had a problem with it and use my car as a daily driver.

To the OP. If you do go for an exhaust manifold, go for new engine mounts or ESMM inserts and you won't have a problem (touches wood) Most problems with manifolds seem to occur with OEM mounts because of the movement.
second gen cost more? im after 1 (vs dc sports) as its cheaper but the quality of the the tegiwa 1 looks better. id prefer a gen 1 if they still have any if i could get it cheaper.

any opinions on dc sports vs tegiwa mani?

p.s if johnny's reading pm me please if you still have any gen 1 mani's thanks.

firthy22

Advanced Member
second gen cost more? im after 1 (vs dc sports) as its cheaper but the quality of the the tegiwa 1 looks better. id prefer a gen 1 if they still have any if i could get it cheaper.

p.s if johnny's reading pm me please if you still have any gen 1 mani's thanks.
I dounbt Tegiwa will have any Gen 1's left. Get in touch with Paul at Tdi North he had a couple of DC5 headers spare which he offered me if the Tegiwa didn't arrive in time.

I think one was a gen 1 Tegiwa and the other was a DC header with new flexi on it. They had removed it from a car and repaired, probably better than it was originally. They migfht still have one of them and do it for a good price.

dave7368

Advanced Member
being relatively new on the market, time hasn't really proved if these are any good or not, ok they might look nice and shiney new now.... but come back in a few years and tell us how good they are,

i've had a DC manifold on my car now for over 3 years, and it was 18 months old when i bought it and never had any issues with it, lets see what these tegiwa ones are like after 5 years of daily use before passing judgement

eg9_dc2

Advanced Member
im gonna be buying all the mods pretty soon just like original poster. but having trouble justifying aprox 2grand for 30bhp (if that) or maybe a junkyard turbo kit...ie parts off an evo (turbo, bov, wastegate, intercooler maybe), a cheap ebay kit for bits n bobs then a cast iron manifold and some decent piping for the intercooler.i AM on abit of a budget ie the tdi kit is abit expensive for me.there kit is quality but a few hundred pound out of my budget.(ie comes to over 3grand after a k100/mapping).racetech did a turbo kit for the b series for under 2k for which they do the same as stated above.....

if i go n/a id:
aem cai/tegiwa gruppe m replica (200-350)
tegiwa mani/dc sports mani (470-320)
rbc and 70mm throttle body (500) from tegiwa. is the throttle body needed to see the gains on the rbc?
k100- if cpl supply them for 420 and mapping is around 250?
i already have a 5zigen fireball cat back fitted.

i dont see myself buying used parts as they do only come once in a while for these cars but if i could get a few of the expensive bits id probs go the n/a route.

my aim is towards the 245hp. with the dc sports mani/aem id be expecting less gains.?

now the price of all that i could (i think) put together a decent turbo kit with 260hp low boost with room for potential.....?

im just gonna do a little more research.

thanks firthy il enquire with paul when i get a chance.fingers crossed.lol.

kazmo

Advanced Member
so do companys like gruppem or dcsports etc. not have patents or something in place to stop unscrupulous companys flooding the market with cheap inferior copies

T

Tegiwa Imports

Our headers have been on the market for 18 months now. They are much better quality than DC sports.