Throttle Body

Wootty

Advanced Member
Well I think I might have cured my problem.

Drove it on Holiday then left it parked up on the campsite for a week. went to drive to the shops and it was idling crazy. Every second it would ramp up to 2.5k then down again. She drove OK home but a bit jerky in town and looked like a prat revving up at the lights :roll:

So looking on the RSX forum there's a thread about it which says to clean out the idle control valve at the bottom of the throttle body - so thats what I did.

Got a new gasget for between the body and the header (well mr Jackson in this case) and took off the complete body. Then underneath there are two screws holding the black block and the Idle valve to the body. The valve gets gunged up with all the intake crap so gets stuck and screws up the idle.

The only trouble was that to clean the rotary valve you have to turn it which means grabbing the motor shaft which is in built. So you have to cut a small slot in the tamper proof screws on the body to remove them, then release the motor housing leaving the shaft in place. You have to pull it gently as the rotor shaft is magnetic (or the body is I didn;t check which) and wants to stick to the housing - but if your careful you can pull it off. Then loads of WD40 and a good few turns and it frees up.

Re-assembly is reverse of removal.

Then Roberts your mothers brother !!!!

I think its got it - idle is still a bit erratic but I think the ECU needs to be reset or just drive it a while till it sorts itself out - but no more idle sweeps :lol:

So now I'm definately going to get a oil catch can for the rocker box breather - at the moment it feeds into the Injen CAI so thats where all the crud is coming from.