Throttle cable relocation

wocka

Advanced Member
Tools needed for the throttle relocation

12mm spanner
10mm rachet

I removed my inlet cover as I was going to be cleaning around that area, I don‘t think you need to remove this but if you do, it‘s 2 10mm bolts

Start by unclipping the throttle cable, there‘s one 10mm bolt to undo on this. Follow the cable from by the brake fluid and undo everything until you get to the throttle body

Now it‘s all undone, get your 12mm spanner and loosen the top nut where the cable is attached to your throttle body, there is a bit underneath but try and leave this is the same position, wind the nut all the way to the top and undo be cable from its holder

Next is releasing the cable from the throttle body itself, undo the cable as its routed, from left to right, now you will see the end of the cable with a round rectangular piece in the end, there is a hole in the throttle body for the cable to go through and this will slide out, I couldn‘t get a pic of these in the bay but got this off google so you have a idea what it looks like

Now you have removed this you should have a completely free cable

Start by routing it underneath the brake fluid and along the back of the bay, I then attached the bracket that you had to undo with the 10mm to the aircon bracket

Now feed the cable around your airbox and over the the throttle body, attach the cable is the same way you removed it and tighten up the 12mm nut

Now go along and remove all the brackets that are no longer needed, these are all 10mm

That‘s it job done, just test your throttle pedal feels smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich-R

Did you do this just to tidy up manifold area or you reckon there is a benefit?

I've seen people run shorter cables but not sure if K20's.

wocka

Advanced Member
Rich-R said:
Did you do this just to tidy up manifold area or you reckon there is a benefit?

I've seen people run shorter cables but not sure if K20's.
Just to tidy it up rich, I think k-tuned do a smaller cable kit

I also think you can buy a different bracket that attaches to the throttle body which is at a different angle

Also when you change the inlet manifold to an aftermarket one or rbc etc, there is nowhere to bolt the throttle cable fixings too

This is my engine bay now

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lemons

Advanced Member
Hey guys I fitted a new throttle cable yesterday, before the car was very laggy and jerky which has now been resolved. I highly recommend changing this if you haven't already.

I have been looking for a new genuine throttle cable for a while now and noticed recently that one of the usual shops was stocking it. Unfortunately it turned out to be an RSX Type S cable which is way too long and has the wrong connector so doesn't fit in the bulkhead properly. Luckily I happened to have a new EP3 throttle cable which fits.

EP3 part number 17910-S5T-E02
RSX part number 17910-S6M-L04

Left to right, EP3 (shorter), DC5, RSX Type S (longer).
IMG_20230422_131740167_MFNR.jpg
Throttle cable in EP3 position, the bracket doesn't fit with the AC so I just secured it with cable ties.
IMG_20230422_135655806_MFNR.jpg
Fitting was simple, the cable unscrews from the inside of the car and just pops off. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there if needed.

Lemons

Advanced Member
So is the ep3 cable a like for like replacement?
No, it's shorter but it fits if you run it in the EP3 position between the air box and block as pictured. The EP3 cable has the correct connector for the bulkhead and has the same fixings for the pedal so it will work, it's just shorter.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
I see reference to “laggy and jerky” here - does this help with slow speed/rpm traffic bunny hopping?

moody_mage

No, it's shorter but it fits if you run it in the EP3 position between the air box and block as pictured. The EP3 cable has the correct connector for the bulkhead and has the same fixings for the pedal so it will work, it's just shorter.
That's cool. Mine is already looped around that way and TBH has a bit if excess length as it is