Timing Belt

Jor-El

Advanced Member
I was wondering.

When you guys got your cars, did any of you change your timing belts just to be safe, or did you just assume they were ok? The other thing is how miles or kilometers before the belt needs to be changed?

User

Advanced Member
I just looked at my auxilliary belt and it looked fine so that's that.

No cam belt in these cars obviously, saves a few quid 8)

mikegsi

Staff member
chains indeed, do they need replacing that early, i thought it was the 100k mark? and just checked adn adjusted where required in the interim

dan the man

Advanced Member
well with any car i do the belt early..but chains usually last dont they better????

like E20 M3s..common misonception to get them done early but absolutely no need..just the tensioner off the E36 m3 is better mod to do as more reliable.

any tricks for us K20 gimps?

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
For the RSX Acura catalogue said that timing belt needed replacement at 120K miles and that no tune up until the 105K miles. So in other words just change fluids and filters...ofcourse depends how hard you drive...and the difference of the specifications of the two cars.

matt b

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
well with any car i do the belt early..but chains usually last dont they better????

like E20 M3s..common misonception to get them done early but absolutely no need..just the tensioner off the E36 m3 is better mod to do as more reliable.

any tricks for us K20 gimps?
Dont you mean E30 danny boy :wink: Theres only been three hasnt there? E30, E36 and E46 8)

jay.dee

Advanced Member
As I understand it, there's no change for the timing chain (unless it snaps), should last the life of the car. The Civic Type R also has a chain, and there's no scheduled change for it.