Timing chain

SimonJames

Advanced Member
As always when a buy a car I give the car a major service doing belt water pump etc etc the teg is the first chain driven car I've owned so I've planned a major service soon doing chain engine/box oil filers plugs etc etc looking for chain changing info I've read mixed opinions on the time to change the chain

My car has covered 90k full history and has had regular dealer services I have no lights on no noise from chain area and it pulls nice and clean through the rev range .... Do i change it or not ?

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Sure Ive read somewhere on this forum that the chain is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine. Someone else will probably be able to give you a definate answer though.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Chains are lifetime.. Wait for the engine management to tell you it needs changing ie Camshaft position fault... Remember the saying don't fix it if it isn't broke ;)

G Man

Advanced Member
I would leave it mate, fixing something that ain't broken can sometimes bite your hand.

Vindots

Advanced Member
Just leave it mate, change your spark plugs instead, gbox oil, and regularly service your car.. :)

chrex

Advanced Member
hey guys, sorry to dig this back up, but regards changing things - does the chain tensioner not need doing at certain intervals? and is the water pump chain driven? Surely that needs doing?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
The timing Chain is Maintainance free and the water pump is driven by the Auxillary belt.

Stoo

Whining.....
It's supposedly maintenance free, but I know of a fair few that have needed changing at roughly 100k miles

In my opinion, I'd rather change it than leave it to chance. But that's me...

Sometimes there can be symptoms such as a slight pause when you let off the accelerator, before engine braking occurs. Like a slight jolt, similar to the feeling of an engine mount gone.

There have been a few tensioners that have needed changing too.

dotty

Advanced Member
Honda used to have it on the 'to do' list at 100k miles, they stopped this, probably as it is costly.

If I was approaching 100k miles I think I would be inclined to get it done, Tdi North also mentioned seeing plenty of stretched chains in their time at circa 100k miles.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Mine came out after doing about 150k miles and it had stretched half a link. Changed it as I was having loads of work doing anyway but prob didn't need to.

chrex

Advanced Member
yea...just something i was thinking of having done in the next 6-12months to be honest.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Ah, more money to spend on my car then. :( Mine is on 93K now. Might get it booked in with TGM early next year.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Personally Id leave it, it's an expense thats not necessary unless needed, if there was a risk of bent valves id be a little more inclined for peace of mind.

But if Honda changed it from 100k to maintance free they did so for a reason.

Only you can make your mind up on the matter if you feel it's something you want to do than fair play, at least you know it will be new :)

What Is your mileage?

Kinli

Advanced Member

OEM 80.000km chain vs. TODA heavy duty timing chain.

It's quite easy to check if the chain & tensioner is within spec by just opening the inspection cover.
Just check the manual.