tire help please.semi slicks or not

viggen

Advanced Member
hello.im looking to buy new tires.been thinking a048 but have been told they take time to warm up.how long will they take to warm up?and they are useless in cold weather.how cold does it have to be before they stop handling well?will our uk weather be warm enough?

which tire would be best?

reviews very welcome

888 or re070?
many thanks

haitch

Advanced Member
If its for the track and its your first event, just go with a premium/fast road tyre, once you have done a couple of events, pick a lower priced track tyre and see how you get on (V70A, FZ201 etc), then work your way up through the track tyres until you find one that suits your driving and pockets.

The A048 is probably the best of them, they do take a lap or two to get up to temp, where the 888 is good off the line, but they dont go off as quickly and have more grip on the limit, but if you pick the best tyre first, you may not appreciate the limits of them and the tyre will be better than your level of experience. Even in the cold most track tyres are more than up to the job but they may take a touch longer to get up to temp, some like to run the soft compound in the cold.

viggen

Advanced Member
thanks for the reply.i plan on using them on the road.mostly 12 mile trips.and maybe a track day once or twice a year.i would like 888 but to expensive for me.what is a good psi for semi slicks?at the moment im using vredestein ultrac sessanta,they seem very good..but it could also be my driving skill...i might not be that good.ive not realy found the limit of the teg.the break away point seems very very high.maybe a track day with some cheaper ones is a good place to start

dave c

400hp K20
Re070 are a truly fantastic tyre but as haitch said you might have too much grip with a semi slick. The trouble being if you loose it with a tyre that has a better grip level it's going to be a big off because of the extra speed your carrying. I use 070's on the road and they a good in the wet, decent in the cold when dry but completely useless in the snow. However there dry performance is stunning

haitch

Advanced Member
I would run with what you have on to start, if they have been on the car for a while its a good base comparrison to start, a sessions day is a good first event, as you dont get time to get carried away (15 or 20 minute sessions). If they are too worn then AD08, RSR are good fast road tyres which will get you through your first trackdays, or any premium tyre like the RE070 etc, it just depends on your driving, confidence etc. You will never reach the limit of the DC5 on the road, you might reach your limit though! Running a tyre similar to your level on track is good as it wont hide your mistakes and you will learn more in my experience.

Track tyre pressures are down to the individual, suspension/brake setup, track and conditions, its a case of experimenting until you find what works for you and the tyre you use that day. On a dry day with any tyre you could start with 26psi and work up from there, certain tracks will be more punishing on one side and you can adjust to compensate, or just use the pressures you run on the road, but keep it simple to start so you can notice the difference, you dont want to be worrying about too much on the day, just keep monitoring them at each session.

scw02102

I got the RE070

no problem on the road

loads of grip in the dry and plenty in the rain too - which i was surprised about - We have had loads of rain lately and they have been fine

I heard they are crap in freezing temp - But then u have to be stupid to be driving like a bell in freezing temp due to ice etc...

integraleo

Advanced Member
I got the RE070

no problem on the road

loads of grip in the dry and plenty in the rain too - which i was surprised about - We have had loads of rain lately and they have been fine

I heard they are crap in freezing temp - But then u have to be stupid to be driving like a bell in freezing temp due to ice etc...
just thought i would let people know about the goodyear eagle F1 asymmetrical 2 tyres that im now tring on my teg.very very good tyre in my opinion,they work in the wet, in the dry,when hot or cold and im very happy with my purchase.would def buy again

rascal69

Advanced Member
Am really liking my rsr's for road use.
Much better than I thought they would be.
Plently of grip in the dry. Like a average or good tyre in wet.

viggen

Advanced Member
i brought a set of ad08's.just waiting for then to turn up,and a very nice pair of takata harnesses.lol

integraleo

Advanced Member
i brought a set of ad08's.just waiting for then to turn up,and a very nice pair of takata harnesses.lol
so much for getting the saab then.thought u needed more space than the teg.harnesses will just make things worse.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I'd go for re070's brilliant on the road and stand up very well on track, I did a track day with them on my impreza sti which is heavier and more powerfully than the teg and they were amazing. My brakes were fading before the tyres were showing any signs of going off.

viggen

Advanced Member
got a set of ad08 tyres fitted today.they look very aggressive on the teg.goin to bed them in later this eve.any idea what tyre pressure should be?im running 32 reaer 33 front.i will post up a pic later.they r 9inchs wide.a bit tight on a lowered teg

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
got a set of ad08 tyres fitted today.they look very aggressive on the teg.goin to bed them in later this eve.any idea what tyre pressure should be?im running 32 reaer 33 front.i will post up a pic later.they r 9inchs wide.a bit tight on a lowered teg
32 all round me!

viggen

Advanced Member
thanks mate.33 psi was to much they felt slippery.now running 31psi much better.might try 30 psi,just waiting for the dry weather.the dry grip is unreal