To sell or not to sell and mod that is the question...

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Hey all,

Looking for some advice at the moment as I'm in a quandry...

My current DC5 has 75k on the clock, a 53 Plate that i've owned for 6 months. I've stuck about 4k miles on it in that time, and sorted out issues on it from when it was imported so it's pretty much spot on now bar a few minor remaining issues.

Originally I had to put it up for sale due to needing money for a house deposit, however circumstances have changed somewhat so that selling isn't now essential.

With that in mind I've been wondering where to go with the Teg, I plan on modifying a DC5 to a certain degree as out of the three I've never modded one. Probably intake, kpro, suspension, exhaust, but nothing much more extreme than that.

The thing that is putting me off modding my current one is the 75k.

Options are:
  1. Keep the current car and modify it gradually, ignoring the 75k miles.
  2. Sell the current one, keep the cash buy a cheap DC5 and then sort issues and mod that - prices of DC5's seem to be ridiculously low and decreasing too.
  3. Sell the current one, use the cash to buy a pre modded DC5 which seem to be available at around £9k for a kpro'd Teg, and the just hope it doesn't fall to bits.
  4. Buy a second DC5 with lower mileage and then chop the current one in at a stealers and eat the loss.
I guess that with DC5's getting older soon it's going to be very difficult to find a car with say 40k miles which would be what I was aiming around to keep for say 5/ 6 years while I pay off weddings/ honeymoons houses etc,,,

Any advice would be appreciated, just have to hope the fiancée doesn't find out or I'm toast... ;)

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I don't see any reason why a modded one won't last if you look after it. If yours has been standard for 75k, it will have had a relatively easy life. Replace the bushes when you do the suspension to give it a new lease of life, otherwise I can't see what will be going wrong for a good few miles unless you're unlucky. The K20 should keep going and going with regular oil changes and no abuse (i.e. over-revving/over-heating/oil starvation).

In financial terms, you'll almost certainly be better off buying a pre-modded car, particularly with exchange rates as they are, cos the best parts will cost you a fortune! I put my modded DC5 up for sale with not one sniff, it's going back to standard on Saturday (well, power mods are coming off to start with) and I calculate I'll be at least a grand better off selling standard and the parts separately. That's at second hand prices, so buying new parts will be crazy expensive! My point being, pre-modded is much cheaper than buying everything yourself, especially if you have to pay labour charges for fitting, mapping and geometry setup.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Cos I don't want another DC5! ;) Would rather sell a car I know the full history of, would probably raise questions along the lines of "why are you selling it so soon" etc.

.::Ant::.

Advanced Member
Haha, I couldn't live with lockwood's black interior ;)

I'm certainly leaning towards the selling and buying pre-modded, like you say it's the setup, geo, mapping etc... that will end up eating cash in the long run.

I'd even though of buying some of the cars that are going silly cheap (there was one for £5k, with a Gruppe M, Defi Gauges, Suspension etc...), strip the parts off that and put them on mine and then sell the other one as a standard car and make the money back.

Sadly with the market the way it is I don't fancy being left with two DC5's. ;)