to white or not to white

truupR

Advanced Member
So this has been bugging me now for pretty much the whole time I've owned my teg (which is a whopping 2 months!)

I'm undecided on what colour the alloys should be. Now before you kick off and call me out for asking such a silly question, I know this is a pure personal opinion and everyone's view will be different. I thought I'd get some input to influence my decision a bit :p The wheels as they stand have been refurbished in gloss black - with the centre caps left the original CW. I'm not very fussed on this look. I think it makes the wheels look abit tacky.

I was planning on just spraying the centres black and re-badging, which gives the car a more 'aggressive' look with all black wheels, in my humble opinion. However - every time I get this in my head I see a teg with the original CW wheels and this whole argument with myself starts because I really love the look of a standard DC5 (albeit I'll have mine sat 30mm/40mm lower than standard) with refurbished CW wheels.

What's everyone's personal opinion? Go white, for more of a jdm look or finish the all black look with the possibility of a black vinyl wrapped centre part of the spoiler? Just looking for some opinions of what you prefer the look of and why :/

coconat

Advanced Member
I think this is entirely your opinion, you should go for what you like not what others believe is best that way you have no regrets

That being said I toyed with spraying mine black then anthracite/gunmetal for a long time, I got quotes and photoshopped my teg but it never felt 100% right to take the plunge

I kept telling myself to go for something different and to not keep them standard white, after coming very close to respraying them several times I can honestly say hand on heart i'm glad I didn't, I actually love them as they are in white regardless of it being standard, I'm still getting my spoiler center wrapped black but I think the wheels will stay white, I think on FL's especially black alloys disrupt the lines of the Teg and I think the DC5 alloys are pretty gorgeous standard, I do know how it feels to get that itch for something different but it all comes down to what you like :)

Just remember you have to be careful spraying back to white as it's hard to match the colour of a pre due to aging of paint :(

truupR

Advanced Member
2 questions from that coconat lol - Would a good bodyshop be able to take the alloys back to white safely given they're currently black? And are they resprayed just pure white when you have them refurbed or does it specifically have to be championship white? I'm assuming it has to be CW otherwise it'll look strange?

coconat

Advanced Member
I'm probably not the best person to ask about the wheel colours, all I know is from reading several stories on the forum of people spraying or refurbing white wheels and the bodsyhop has used the CW paint code without taking into consideration the years of age on the car so they looked blindingly white against a slight creamy body paint, I think I read somewhere on here that a bodyshop successfully mixed a tiny bit of yellow or cream to match the paint however

I'm sure any really recent quality shop will do what they can, but a bad job is very obvious so I would research first and choose a reputable place (or better yet maybe someone near you can recommend one?)

Again not the best person to ask but I assumed they would strip off existing black and take it back to basics before spraying, but could be wrong if anyone knows betters do correct me!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Personal opinion coming from someone who actually has black wheels but non oem...

I don't like oem wheels in gloss black. It just doesn't look right to me, I think Nat is right about the lines etc and it just hides the design of the wheel quite badly so you just see darkness and no shape under the arches.

White does look stunning all freshly painted, Nat's car being a good example. If I had to choose between white or gloss black for oem I'd go with white hands down.

All that being said, if I was respraying them I wouldn't have either colour! :D The thing that puts me off the white is keeping them that way and if you don't keep them well protected they'll need more maintenance to keep them looking tip top whereas something darker won't show a few stubborn tar spots so much. That's important to me for a daily and unfortunately I can't always prioritise keeping the car clean, as much as I try and keep on top of it.

My preference would be anthracite. On my phone right now so can't drop the picture in but take a look at one of the new owner's cars in the newbie section, username Wayne something. The colour on those wheels look absolutely spot on IMO.

Mark_teg

Staff member
If you like gloss black and you like CW, there's only one way to sort it - buy a set of each ;)

integraleo

Advanced Member
I've had cw wheels when I first got the car then resprayed them in gloss black that I really liked then picked up another set in carbon bronze along with carbon bronze rear spoiler. Not to everyone's taste but it's different and I like it. Now my gloss black wheels are sat in garage waiting for slicks.
Track wheels as spares lol.

truupR

Advanced Member
Mark suggests a good point about having 2 sets of alloys :p I think if I was to have 2 sets then they'd have to be OEM wheels in white and rota fighters in black... I think my problem is I like both colours too much and keep thinking the colour which I don't currently have is a better choice :/

There's a teg that just got sold here with anthracite wheels like you said Dave,which does look pretty damn nice.. Though the colour is so close to black I think I'd just be wasting money getting them changed from black to anthracite (even though I think anthracite looks better than black imo)

I think the best and more sensible choice would be to stick with black for the winter then swap back to white in the spring if the urge is still there. Though I'm not too sure if there's even any 'decent' garages that would be able to colour match the alloys championship white in the south wales area...

coconat

Advanced Member
Why don't you consider swapping yours for an existing set of white or buy some and sell the blacks later? Will look much better than getting yours re-sprayed, more likely to match the colour and you can choose the condition :)

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
truupR said:
Mark suggests a good point about having 2 sets of alloys :p I think if I was to have 2 sets then they'd have to be OEM wheels in white and rota fighters in black... I think my problem is I like both colours too much and keep thinking the colour which I don't currently have is a better choice :/

There's a teg that just got sold here with anthracite wheels like you said Dave,which does look pretty damn nice.. Though the colour is so close to black I think I'd just be wasting money getting them changed from black to anthracite (even though I think anthracite looks better than black imo)

I think the best and more sensible choice would be to stick with black for the winter then swap back to white in the spring if the urge is still there. Though I'm not too sure if there's even any 'decent' garages that would be able to colour match the alloys championship white in the south wales area...
Is there not a local moblie body-shop guy, that goes around doing bumper repairs etc for main dealers in your area that you could call out as they are more likey to have main dealer colour match paints etc?? just a thought.

These were done by willie @ tgm

And on the car not a bad much really but he did have a lot of the CW paint cards to match as best as he could.

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I've ran both OEM wheels in OEM white, and aftermarket wheels in charcoal grey/black (as well as 19" chrome wheels but we won't talk about them)

The white on white looks shite on my car and I couldn't get them off fast enough, was that due to me having a big stupid body kit and the car dropped on its arse? Maybe, but the car looks 100x better now with dark wheels.

I've never agreed with black wheels on a white car and still don't to a point.

I think with the right wheels (I.e. TE37's) you can pull ANY colour off on a white car.

truupR

Advanced Member
Naw nobody mobile around here afaik Gordy :( Love the finish on your wheels though!! There's probably a ton of bodyshops that could do a perfect job in the Cardiff area but they don't usually advertise nor have websites so it's incredibly difficult to find them. There's a bodyshop that does powdercoating a few miles from my house which I never knew existed until 2 weeks ago when a mate had his wheels done by them (they messed it up twice and it took over 2 weeks to get his wheels back with an acceptable finish which is why I won't be using them)

If anybody knows a good place that can do wheels in the South Wales area I'm all ears!

@coconat I'd love to swap for a white set but they'd have to be a pretty good condition. Viewed 2 teg's which had white wheels in need of a refurb and it sort of ruined the whole look of the car when not moving. I wouldn't imagine anyone would want to part with a recently refurbished white set for a black set that was refurbed around 18 months ago (even though they're in good condition) certainly worth considering though...

I'd love a set of TE37's Liam buuuuuuutt....they seem to be retailing for around the £1500 mark which is a little hard to swallow :(

Mark_teg

Staff member
Naw nobody mobile around here afaik Gordy :( Love the finish on your wheels though!! There's probably a ton of bodyshops that could do a perfect job in the Cardiff area but they don't usually advertise nor have websites so it's incredibly difficult to find them. There's a bodyshop that does powdercoating a few miles from my house which I never knew existed until 2 weeks ago when a mate had his wheels done by them (they messed it up twice and it took over 2 weeks to get his wheels back with an acceptable finish which is why I won't be using them)

If anybody knows a good place that can do wheels in the South Wales area I'm all ears!

OSE aka Old School Engineering.

A bit of trek for you as they are in Blaencwm, but I've taken my car there several times for paint and I'm very happy with it.
They have a website but they don't keep it updated. Feel free to pm me for more details if you want Rhys :)