To wing or not to wing??

Grunty

Advanced Member
This is a bit of a thread revival.

I am considering removing the rear wing. My car will be going in to get some paint any way so buying a spare boot and filling in the holes wouldnt be too much extra work I dont think, also I would probably lose the rear wiper to get a cleaner look.

This has all come about with looking at some RSX's online.

However I will not do this if it affects the handling of the car, I doubt it would have major impacts (although I have been known to be wrong) but does anyone have any experience of removing the wing and does it have any negative impact.

My car is very unlikely to be anywhere near a track so that doesn't have to be taken into consideration.

sinbad

Advanced Member
I'd imagine it may affect high speed stability. Particulary motorway stuff.

George K

Advanced Member
I doubt if the standard rear wing does much - it is symmetrical with a very blunt rear edge - I have tried a crude flow visualisation with a very high pressure spray and it does not deflect the airflow - reckon it is a cosmetic/homologation special. Hence some of the after market specials.

Grunty

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
I'd imagine it may affect high speed stability. Particulary motorway stuff.
Not much motorway up here. But it was that kind of speeds I was thinking may be affected. It doesn't seem to be difficult to remove so guess I could try it and see.

licky

In my opinion why buy a japanese sports car and expect not to have side skirts, nice lights,bucket seats,big spoilers and a healthy heart ? I saw a first dc5 10 years ago and said that car is a looker my 60 year old dad loves mine. On the other hand if i was to take off my standard spoiler it would have to be a Mugen or BTCC look. Dc5 are a class.

The Lum

Advanced Member
Get some pics up if you take it off. Be good to see to give people an idea of how it looks on Honda rather than Acura.

Grunty

Advanced Member
licky said:
On the other hand if i was to take off my standard spoiler it would have to be a Mugen or BTCC look. Dc5 are a class.
A Mugen wing was another thing i considered but they aren't the easiest things to come by.

I've had the car for almost 2 years and I'm getting bored and having just bought a house spare money isn't really there so can't spend money under the bonnet which I had intended doing this year.

I'm going to whip it off and see what it looks like, it may be this weekend, it may not, weather has been very unpredictable up here lately.

If you don't here from me again we will no it served a purpose and I will be residing in a hedge somewhere.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Stay away from hedges!

Ive concidered taking mine off as i love my car but im getting on a bit now. Im 30 years old it may suit me better without the wing.

I would wip it off if it wasnt for those pesky holes, just to see how it looked!

I dont have a rear wiper, never missed it either. If your cars clean the water runs off the rear window fast.