TODA A3 CAMS AND VALVE SPRINGS (*HELP*)

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Just wanted peoples views if this is worth buying, i know someone who is selling TODA A3 CAMS AND VALVE SPRINGS which have done 25k miles but selling due to going supercharger route and wondering if this is worth buying for £400?? :? What are the pros and cons regarding these cams and would the valve springs be ok to use?

Any views would be appreciated thanks. :D

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
if they have done 25k miles you would want the whole matching valvetrain as they would be very nicely bedded in by now

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
ive been told to get a Toda Timing Chain Tensioner as well with these cams and valvesprings and this should be enough :?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
You should really use all the parts as with that mileage everything will be well worn in and worn in together, cams should be used with followers, springs and seats with corresponding collets etc.

Personally i would not recomend using second hand internal parts especially of that age unless you can use everything, (why not swap heads with him?

Jayk

Advanced Member
man they done some miles, i wouldnt by them unless your are doing what simon says, and swapping heads. then you can use a high comp headgasket too.

tensioner isnt a must, depends on how many miles your's has done.

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
hmm.... :? its got me thinking now, will need to ask a few more people first then before i jump in there and buy them. :(

jostrom

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
cam folowers etc everything thats in contact with the cam
You really don't need anything else but cams + valvetrain. K20 has roller rockers and you would need to change the rocker assy. There is absolutely no point in changing anything else.

celox performance

Advanced Member
If you have a KPRO, which I see you have, then you will need a full remap not just a part map, which will set you back around £400 for the full remap.

I was looking to cam mine and then realised how much it would all cost :shock: , so decided to go down the cheaper route of a lightened flywheel and changing the final drive ratio in the gearbox, for now anyway until I get brave :lol:

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
that's quite expensive that! is it the labour or the actual time to do a complete remap? :?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It's all labour as there's no parts mate :wink:

The cams themselves don't need long to fit as it can be done without removing the engine, it's the full map that costs. I think a full map is in the £600 region. Paul also said the car would have to be with him for two days so I'd be looking at a taxi and hotel on top of his price.

Though I would imagine the finished product would be nice. The extra torque combined with a super smooth map would make the engine so sweet. I thought about buying them and then saving up for the fitting but they come up for sale every now and again, plus I'd want a set that had done less mileage or a head swap (which brings complications iirc).

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
It's all labour as there's no parts mate :wink:

The cams themselves don't need long to fit as it can be done without removing the engine, it's the full map that costs. I think a full map is in the £600 region. Paul also said the car would have to be with him for two days so I'd be looking at a taxi and hotel on top of his price.

Though I would imagine the finished product would be nice. The extra torque combined with a super smooth map would make the engine so sweet. I thought about buying them and then saving up for the fitting but they come up for sale every now and again, plus I'd want a set that had done less mileage or a head swap (which brings complications iirc).
Yeah i spoke to a few people and basically they all came out with similar answers saying that they wouldnt buy them cams because its done 25k miles and it probably wouldnt suit my engine because its been run in to suit their engine. If it was say for example only 5k miles then it would have been a different situation.

They also mentioned another method if i still wanted the cams was to change the head over with the other person which i didnt want to do because i didnt know what condition their head was in so ive decided because of the hassle and disadvantages of buying cams at 25k miles im better off saving up and buying new ones.

Ive been quoted a very good price for a new set of toda cams and valves springs and tensioner so i'll probably be going this route instead.

Thanks for everyones views and advice xthumbup

Stevieg

Advanced Member
TypeRKid said:
Ive been quoted a very good price for a new set of toda cams and valves springs and tensioner so i'll probably be going this route instead.
Hiya,

Where did you get a good quote for Cams etc and how much were you looking at as I am probably going the same route.

I've been quoted around £1800 for cams, fitting and a full remap. It's certainly alot of cash!

benny

Advanced Member
milano_chris said:
I was looking into buying these. Paul @ TDI quoted about £850 for fitting and mapping.
whats the difference between the a2 and the a3 they're about the same in price to buy from toda racin 340 or 370 then plus the other bits on top?

any body got any ideas on the difference they'd make to the car? mines already 240 bp/183lbs trqe
cheers chaps