Toda Exhaust Rattle

civic17_99

Advanced Member
My Toda exhaust has developed a bit of a rattle lately, More noticeable when the car is cold first thing. I'm sure I've seen posts in the past where people have had similar issues, has anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it. I did contact Solid Fabrications to see if they could fix it but they said i would be better off purchasing a new rear box which I don't want to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Think I've read this somewhere before, Something to do with the baffle/s?

Drill out the rivets on the Toda, remove the 'wadding' and damaged/broken baffle, replace with new baffle and repack and rivet back up again.

Or something alone those lines away, might be worth trying somewhere else and confirming what the actual issue is first.

Dan34

Advanced Member
I had this issue a few times on mine.

It's because the tip isn't welded onto the perforated tube on the inside of the silencer. So over the years it corrodes and expands and rattle against the tip.

I repacked mine and cut the end off the perforated tube so it doesn't touch the tube, still works completely fine.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I had this issue a few times on mine.

It's because the tip isn't welded onto the perforated tube on the inside of the silencer. So over the years it corrodes and expands and rattle against the tip.

I repacked mine and cut the end off the perforated tube so it doesn't touch the tube, still works completely fine.
Sounds like this is what i may need to get done to mine eventually then. Just trying to find somewhere that will do it.

Bally_Jdm

Advanced Member
I did this myself

Drill
Rivet
Packing

Problem sorted , sounds a lot better after a repacking aswell ! Takes around 30mins to do !

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Thank's for the response. I'm going to drop solid Fabrications another email and see if they can try and repair it following the responses I've had from yourselves.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Bally_Jdm said:
I did this myself

Drill
Rivet
Packing

Problem sorted , sounds a lot better after a repacking aswell ! Takes around 30mins to do !
Just a quick question, what sort of packing did you use mate? I'm doing something similar, and need to get hold of some. Even better if you have a link to it at all?

many thanks :)

Dan34

Advanced Member

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Took my car to a company called Hayward and Scott at the weekend to get my exhaust looked at. Turns out that the weld around the tip of the exhaust has failed which is causing the rattle. They are going to fix the weld and check the baffles at the same time while its there.

ek4

Advanced Member
There is big difference in quality in wadding for exhausts so worth researching before purchasing if doing yourself

Toda design seems handy when it comes to repacking meaning many can do themselves that are handy as above

Hayward and scott seem pretty good and have good reputation so will be easy fix for them

ek4

Advanced Member
Bally_jdm

just clicked on your 1st link and small world but I visited their office/factory several years ago to buy some heat wrap (thermal velocity) and was very poor quality. No idea what their wadding will be like but wouldn't use them for anything again

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
They're mega expensive but supposed to be the best with exhausts in the UK.
The manager was extremly helpful and identified the issue straight away, he also said that if the baffles need doing he will replace the pot rivets in the exhaust with bolts like they do on there systems to allow for easy replacement in the future. He's quoted me a very good price to repair the failed weld on the exhaust. I did try and get Solid Fabrications to have a look but they didn't seem overly interested.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Did any of you toda re packers have any steel wool in there as well as packing?
Got mine in bits at the moment...

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
Did any of you toda re packers have any steel wool in there as well as packing?
Got mine in bits at the moment...
Yep mine had some in.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
So did you put some stainless wool back in when you re-packed it?
Could you do a dummy step by step on what you done for me?

C2AXG

Advanced Member
So I've cleaned it right out as the rear silencer was a mess.
After abit of research I'm going to line the tube with stainless wire wool then fill the silencer with acousta wool which expands and fills all the gaps.
Stainless rivits so they don't melt out and all new gaskets.
A few of you were saying the tube is vibrating against the tail section on mine it's butted right up against and a very tight fit once secure I think mine had quite a lot of stainless wool at the end to stop the rattling

Dan34

Advanced Member
C2AXG said:
So I've cleaned it right out as the rear silencer was a mess.
After abit of research I'm going to line the tube with stainless wire wool then fill the silencer with acousta wool which expands and fills all the gaps.
Stainless rivits so they don't melt out and all new gaskets.
A few of you were saying the tube is vibrating against the tail section on mine it's butted right up against and a very tight fit once secure I think mine had quite a lot of stainless wool at the end to stop the rattling
I just wrapped the wadding I linked above around the perforated tube, it expands once heated so theres no worries of it moving about etc. And yep used stainless rivets too. I didn't bother with wire wool.

C2AXG

Advanced Member
Did it sound ok then after you re-packed it?
I think the wool is there to serve a purpose it also protects the wadding abit.