Toda mani, weird noise

JT3173

Advanced Member
Had the Toda Mani fitted and now it is fitted I have notices a very high pitched vibration coming from the front of the car I think, sounds like a very thin piece of metal as it is so high pitched, it is fizzy if you know what I mean.

It happens in evey grear at bang on 3500 rmp, lower than that or higher than that with a 200rpm margin either side and it is not there.

I have checked the gasket and it is not loose and the mani seems to be secure.

Any ideas on what it could be?

JT3173

Advanced Member
Cheers mate, I will have a look and see but I thought that the CAT heat shield was removed as it surrounded the OEM CAT :?:

JT3173

Advanced Member
I will have a look then and see, I hope it is that, you sound very sure of this so I bet you are right, cheers for the advice mate.

Evs

Advanced Member
There's no cat heatshield on a Toda manifold, in fact there's no heatshield attached to the manifold at all.

There's a heatshield that bolts to the car in front of the steering rack - if you look down behind the engine into the gap between the engine and the bulkhead, it'll be a horizontal strip of metal attached to the car by a bolt at either end. Give this a tweak to see if it's loose.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
There is also a heatshield - that sits above where the cat would be - bolted to the underside of the car.

This being the item i am talking about!

JT3173

Advanced Member
Not had chance to check it today, trying to sleep after night shift in this heat, not been easy!

The heast shield that surrounds the top of the OEM header near the steering rack is sitting in a old wardrobe so it cannot be that, will check the underside of the car though as DC5TU said.

Cheers peeps :D

Andywilkinson

Advanced Member
Mine too has also got a fizzing sort of sound, i'm thinking it has something to do with the engine damper i have just added :?

Wootty

Advanced Member
Mines now my throttle pedal.

On the overrun as you take your foot off the pedal I get a buzz at about 4k from the throttle pedal. Just resting my foot on it lightly cures it. A bit annoying but once understood is not a worry. One of the drawbacks of the ES mounts I think.

JT3173

Advanced Member
mmm, I have the engine mounts too but it is not my throttle pedal, nor the other things, never mind, will just leave it, its not too annoying.

That VTEC Grin

Advanced Member
Andywilkinson said:
Mine too has also got a fizzing sort of sound, i'm thinking it has something to do with the engine damper i have just added :?
If your car is making the noise throughout the rev range and only whilst accelerating that is the engine damper. Since fitting mine this weekend it is making that noise.

If its at a particular point (frequency) in the rev range whilst accelerating or deccelerating it is most likely a loose panel or heat sheild etc.

Rgds