Toda stroked/Cammed & Now Mapped!

monz

Advanced Member
Well its been a battle & a half to get the car to this stage!.. After months of waiting for different parts to come in from japan & the u.s.. Then getting everything fitted & run in.. The wait has been well worth it!.. I had a bad year last year when my bottom end bearing went & in the process damaging my toda a3 cams!.. So i was in two minds to go supercharged or stay n/a!.. I chose the expensive route & stayed n/a as I've been in various supercharged honda's & didn't like the way they felt!.. You don't really feel the rawness of the engine & high rev's.. It all felt so rushed & forced!.. I felt the n/a setup suited the way i drive.. I like to feel the engine & it's natural progression through the high rev's & the way it just sings to you in vtec!.. :) So i decided to stroker it with a toda stroker kit (2150cc).. I also had to replace the toda a3 cams i had as they were badly warn due to the bottom end bearing failing causing oil starvation to the head which in-turn damaged the cams!.. I decided to go for the toda spec c camshaft as they out performed the existing spec a3's both in low-end, mid-range as well as in top-end performance due to the increased lift & duration on both the low speed lobes & high speed lobes. I chose to stick with toda because i was so impressed with their existing products i already had on the car!.. i.e; toda exhaust manifold, toda cat-back exhaust, toda a3 camshafts, valve springs, headgasket, timing chain, timing tensioner & baffled sump. Plus i got great results with the toda gear & didn't like the ideal of chopping & changing different parts together.. I also opted for a skunk2 pro intake manifold & 70m true throttle body as i read they made great power with high spec n/a setup's..

So when everything was finally put in & run in.. I got tom at tgmsport to organize the mapping of the car considering he built & done most of the work on it!.. He arranged for mase engineering to map the car as he has extensive mapping experience using hondata & aem & knows the honda management system very well!. Mase is based in the u.s but comes down to the u.k every 4months or so to map cars at surrey rolling road.. So the opportunity came up for my car to get mapped by mase. The car went in on friday for mapping at surrey rolling road!.. I was told by tom the car made really good power!.. :shock: 234.2 wheel horse power & 164.1wheel torque power!.. Mase told tom he couldn't believe the power it made!!.. He told tom this was one of the most powerful-est n/a k-series he's tuned in the u.k!.. :eek: Tom got a chance to drive it & said its seriously quick!.. I haven't had the chance to collect the car yet as it needs the front suspension mounts sorting as their knocking like mad & the front wishbone bushes need replacing as the car is dancing all over the place!.. I hope to get the suspension & bushes replaced next week & collect the car on the weekend!.. Fingers crossed just alittle longer!. 8-[ I would like to thank tom/ken & will at tgmsport.co.uk for all their hard work over the last few months & mase at maseengineering.com for his vast knowledge & mapping skills. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!.. =~

Toda 2150cc Stoker Kit

Toda Spec-C Camshafts/Valve Springs/Head-Gasket/Timing Chain & Tensioner

Skunk2 Pro Intake Manifold & 70m True Throttle Body

234.2 Whp & 164.1Ftlbs Wp At Surrey Rolling Road

dave c

400hp K20
awesome power, awesome write up can i come round with the camera when you get it back to get some shots?

monz

Advanced Member
Thank's for the kind comments guys!.. I have to speak to tom again on how to convert the wheel power to horse/flywheel power!.. My thoughts at the end of the day its not about the numbers but how its mapped, feels, handles & put its power down that counts.. Yeah dave I will give you a shout when i get it back!..

Peter D

Advanced Member
That is great power for n/a 8)

How much did the stroker kit set you back?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I love posts like this. Great write up Monz. I can't wait to hear how you find the car when you get it back.

rodney

Advanced Member
I was whoring over your car on Saturday mate, she's very nice, had to look twice at the carbon piece on the window, nice touch.

LeeH

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
I wanna come down and sit in it :D

I wanna drive it :green:

Is that a Nology spark plug 'thingy' you have?

I looked at importing one but they get a right Kicking on club RSX. What did Mase say about it?

ejwillistyles

Advanced Member
:shock:

Good luck with it mate, its going to really fly with that power at teh wheels you're into supercharged power territory!!

Awesome.

monz

Advanced Member
I'm still waiting on tom to sort out the suspension & bushes!.. :( In regards to the cost of the stroker kit!.. It wasn't cheap as you can imagine the yen in japan is ridiculously expensive!.. #-o Regarding the nology leads mase doesn't rate or recommend their products!.. :roll: So i will be selling mine shortly!.. 8)

VT-Doo

RushDoo
From the figures above and assuming maximum power is made at 8800RPM (Can you confirm please?) I have calculated the flywheel BHP to be 274.95.
40.75BHP lose is acceptable in a FWD car IMO.

vampyriaerotica

Advanced Member
Awesome Monz! =D>

I was there at Tom's last year and saw your car and have to say, brilliant! Tastefully modded and now especially with your engine upgrades! Good choices of carefully selected parts I admire your patience and knowledge to get this car to what is is now. :twisted:

monz

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
From the figures above and assuming maximum power is made at 8800RPM (Can you confirm please?) I have calculated the flywheel BHP to be 274.95.
40.75BHP lose is acceptable in a FWD car IMO.

Judging from my dyno sheet it does look like the power peaks at 8800rpm!.. Unfortunately i wasn't at the rolling road when the car was mapped/dynoed!.. But I will try & find out!.. I have to confirm the wheel torque figure with mase!.. As tom only gave me a rough estimate from my dyno sheet!..

Thanks for converting the whp to flywhl-hp. ;)