Toda vs Spoon

Tarmac

Advanced Member
My Spoon manifold cracked a few days ago for the second time since I got it last year :evil: The performance is excellent from this piece of kit, but it just doesn't seem to like the climate or whatever so i'm looking at a part-exchange of the welded-up spoon manifold against a new Toda manifold. I know that Toda manifolds are accepted as being the best manifold that you can get for a DC2 ITR, but has anyone on this site put a Toda manifold on their DC5 and if so, how do they find it??

fonz600

Advanced Member
I know the TODA is regarded the best Manifold for the CTR so would imagine it's the same for the DC5.

jonster

Advanced Member
It's pretty much accepted as the one to go for if you want the best. It's pretty much the most expensive too. There's talk of other potentially better stuff coming out but until then, it's the one to go for.

fonz600

Advanced Member
Just a question tho. Do u have engine mount inserts? If not thats probably why it keeps cracking and the TODA might be more prone to cracking than the Spoon as it's a one piece Manifold and has less movement on it.
I might be wrong tho.

T666YPR

Tarmac said:
My Spoon manifold cracked a few days ago for the second time since I got it last year :evil:
That sounds familiar,my dealer just replaced mine with a new on,though they broke mine when removing it fo the tranny inspection.

Sounds like they might be brittle :(

I thought the Toda had this habit IIRC :|

jonster

Advanced Member
I've had ES engine mount inserts temporarily but removed them in the end. I couldn't handle the vibes. I've been running my TODA for the last 10k miles without problems and various track days. It was removed for a MOT recently and put back with no issues.

I hope it stays this way.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
i was asked that this evening by the guy who was welding the manifold - if i had checked the engine mounts. i replaced the mounts when i got the car so i'm pretty sure it's not those... but i will check again at the weekend when i have it up on a lift. the guy told me that spoon uses a grade lower of steel for their exhaust but even though the toda one is a higher grade, it is actually thinner :shock:

to be honest, it sounds like it could happen any of the performance manifolds. but i do have hope seeing as jonster had his with no probs after 10k...

Trung

Advanced Member
I would highly recommend UPRATED engine mounts or at least an engine torque damper when using a race manifold.
As for performance gains Toda is currently the best.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
I have a J's Racing engine damper winging it's way to me as I type - should have it within three weeks so that should help avoid this. I was talking to the guy I ususally deal with about parts and he was suggesting uprated Spoon engine mounts. Are they polyeurothane or something? Anyway - sounds good but they are MAJOR expensive! 500 or so yoyos for a set of Spoon engine mounts! But I guess it might be something I'll have to do to totally minimise this kind of junk happening again. Has anyone put the spoon engine mounts in? Is there a lot of extra vibration or would you even notice??

Thanks for all the help!

dobber

Advanced Member
500 :shock: :shock:

I guess you would get a lot more vibration through the car with any form of mount or shock absorber. They are there for a job so you have to expect it i guess.

aself66

Advanced Member
the metal its made out of is shite, doesnt suit our climate like a lot of the zorst s from japan

Paul-CTR

Those of you without upgraded engine mounts are running a very high risk of cracking your manifolds.

Its not a case of if, its more a case of when.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
mmm - yep - looks like i'll have to get them so - damn money pit this car is :cry: 500 yoyos = GBP£340 approx at the mo, so they're not cheap!

apart from uprated mounts and an engine damper, is there anything else i should consider? it was suggested that i wrap the manifold in this exhaust wrap material also - apparantly it helps alot because of the crappy climate we have in this corner of the planet...

Tarmac

Advanced Member
that's a good point about it possibly absorbing water... in that case, is there anything else apart from exhaust wrap that would sufficiently bond to the manifold surface taking into consideration the manifold can go from climate temperature to scolding hot and back to climate temperature in an hour or two (obviously)?

i know when you put a turbo on the teg, you need an exhaust system with a pipe diameter bigger than that what most of us here are used to. is the manifold cracking a problem with bigger units also? i dunno if truffs will visit this thread, but i'd be curious to know if he's had any problems with his manifold?

dobber

Advanced Member
aself66 said:
you might be able to treat it with something? that exhaust wrap may just trap water.
As soon as the engine is run the water would have evaporated.

andyd

Advanced Member
Toda gives the most power, but has a very weak flexy joint.

This is easy solved by installion of a engine damper or engine mounts.

Andy

aself66

Advanced Member
"As soon as the engine is run the water would have evaporated"

what about b4 engine is run?

dont 4get condenstion and dirty dirty winter!

[/quote]

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Trung said:
Once I wrap my manifold I'll be using this protective coat
Trung - I find it increasingly difficult to read your posts with that top-class avatar :xnworthy: lol

Is that spray special order and also this may seem like a stupid question, but do you spray the manifold with it or the material that will wrap the manifold?