Too Squeaky!

Cennix1

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows what could cause relatively new brakes to be particularly squeaky?

I noticed they were squeaking a bit before which I took as a sign they needed to be replaced, and after checking them I decided to get them done, so I had all 4 corners done with brand new discs + pads, they are OEM from Coxmotorparts and fitted by a trusted local. I also had a major service done at TGM a couple of weeks after fitting, but I didn't mention it as I thought they were just wearing in.

Unfortunately, over 1000 miles later (with a fair bit of braking) the squeaking is still there and particularly bad just as I stop and very bad in the wet. Right now they are worse than before I replaced them. Although the stopping power is definitely there.

As far as I'm aware, the calipers haven't been touched in 70k miles / since 2001 so not sure if they could be playing a part?

Any recommendations? haven't had to mess with brakes at all on a car before.

gurrik

Could be the type of pads ? I had some dixcels that were squeaky as hell until they were warmed up. Switched to yellow stuff and they work like a dream.... Honestly I'm just taking a guess... But perhaps the cold ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cennix1

The pads are OEM so I would be surprised. I was considering some NS400's but didn't go for them, if It would solve the problem I would get them but I'm not convinced thus far. I think the squeak is only coming from the front but not 100%.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Did you copperslip the rear of the pad when you fitted them?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mattz

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Did you copperslip the rear of the pad when you fitted them?

This will more than likely be the reason they squeak if the garage didn't do it.

I have Ferodo pads which are notorious for making loads of noise, but mine seem to be fine.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Mattz said:
This will more than likely be the reason they squeak if the garage didn't do it.

I have Ferodo pads which are notorious for making loads of noise, but mine seem to be fine.
I've got PBS pads on mine, I gave them a smidge of copper slip and they haven't made a squeal once. I had OEM's in beforehand (I didn't fit the OEM's) and they squealed a little and they hadn't been greased.

Cennix1

Copper slip was all done correctly, but seems to have stopped squeaking now, hasn't done it for 4 days... strange.