Torque drop in mid-range

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I have recently had my car mapped and the mapper mentioned that in the mid range of my rpm he is seeing a torque drop. He said it started at around 30lbs but managed to map it out to around 10lbs but said it was still there.

I have done some reading and what I am currently looking at is the Spoon 4-2 2-1 section causing this. It is suggested that top end the Spoon performs great (it is a race part after all) but mid-range it doesn't perform so well. I'm thinking the Spoon just isn't flowing well enough mid-range for daily driving.

I'm currently debating with replacing the 4-2 > 2-1 section with the Tegiwa 4-2-1 to see if this helps.

Car is also booked in with TGM at the end of the month just to make sure it isn't something else.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

kyle'87

Advanced Member
After more research I've answer my own question.

Looks like I will be replacing the Spoon 4-2 2-1 sections with either the Tegiwa 4-2-1 or the Buddy Club Racing Header to gain some mid-range torque.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I was in the exact same position. I ended up swapping out the 4-2 and 2-1 for a buddyclub manifold and gained about 30lb torque mid range. I lost maybe 5 or 10 hp from the top end but the mid range was a massive improvement!

kyle'87

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I was in the exact same position. I ended up swapping out the 4-2 and 2-1 for a buddyclub manifold and gained about 30lb torque mid range. I lost maybe 5 or 10 hp from the top end but the mid range was a massive improvement!
That is good to know! I think i stumbled onto one of your previous posts when researching which got me digging. Did you have the full Spoon system, including the B pipe and the N1, how was the fit to the BC header?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yes it was the full system and I probably had posted about it!

I have the Spoon backbox and centre pipe now, fitment is fine but the pipe does hang a bit low. I found that you can push up on the pipe when tightening to give a bit more clearance but I get over 'most' speedbumps ok or with a slight scrape.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Yes it was the full system and I probably had posted about it!

I have the Spoon backbox and centre pipe now, fitment is fine but the pipe does hang a bit low. I found that you can push up on the pipe when tightening to give a bit more clearance but I get over 'most' speedbumps ok or with a slight scrape.
Thanks for the info Luke!