Torque figures - chain guides & tensioner

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
As above, torque figures required for all 3 guides and the tensioner! I've heard that they are low but just need to double check!

Thanks

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Yeah and then I've heard 24nm for the tensioner or just one of the guides?! Just need to clarify before I put them on!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
to be fair , i wouldnt use a torque wrench on most of this stuff, just hand tight with a std ratchet will see you about right.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Usually if agree with you, but 12-22nm is nothing, you will massively go over that with a 1/2" drive ratchet. I'll be thread locking them in also but this is one part if rather do with the correct torques!

So everything bolt on the guides / tensioner is 12nm except for the tensioner arm is 22nm?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yes absolutly they arnt tight at all, i wouldnt really class a 1/2 " ratchet as std, thats way too big to be using for guides etc. 3/8 " at most . theres a specific type of threadloc too, but i cant remember what it is sorry .

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Yeah that is true, they are only small after all haha. It's one that can set in oil, loctite 428 I think does it?! I'll find it either way!

Cheers!

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
to be fair , i wouldnt use a torque wrench on most of this stuff, just hand tight with a std ratchet will see you about right.
obviously torque settings are there for a reason, to keep everything uniformly tight. i would always follow them on engine work, i'm surprised you say you wouldn't bother when in another post you have supplied torque settings...i would say a chain tensioner bolt which is small enough to be easily over tightened and potentially stretched worst case scenario causing premature failure, is more important to have a torque setting than an M12 caliper bolt.

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Just to clarify...

Has someone got a definite answer for the 3 guides & tensioner please....

Thanks!!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
ep3itrdc5 said:
obviously torque settings are there for a reason, to keep everything uniformly tight. i would always follow them on engine work, i'm surprised you say you wouldn't bother when in another post you have supplied torque settings...i would say a chain tensioner bolt which is small enough to be easily over tightened and potentially stretched worst case scenario causing premature failure, is more important to have a torque setting than an M12 caliper bolt.
i supplied the torque setting as i knew what it was off the top of my head for a bolt of that size. , i wouldnt normally use a torque wrench for caliper bolts, but i wouldnt use a 1/4 drive ratchet for them either. i understand torque settings are there for a reason, and as an experienced mechanical engineer (not a car mechanic) for 30 years i am very confident i would not overtighten any small diameter bolts enough to cause them to stretch using the right sized (std) hand tools for the job. no one should ever be using a 1/2" ratchet or a nut gun on an M6 threaded bolt and vice versa, a 1/4 ratchet isnt right for an M10 + .