Torque Setting for Steering Rack Pre-Load

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Alrighty,

I was wondering if any of you guys with a workshop manual could find out the Torque setting on the pre-load adjustment for the steering rack.

Thanks

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Here goes...

"8. Tighten the rack guide screw to 25N-m (2.5kgf-m, 18lbf-ft) then loosen it.
9. Retighten the rack guide screw to 8N-m (0.8kgf-m, 6lbf-ft) then back it off to the specified angle.

Specified return angle: 15 degrees max.

10. Hold the rack guide screw stationary with a wrench and tighten the locknut by hand until it is fully seated.
11. Install the special tool on the locknut and hold the rack guide screw stationary with a wrench. Tighten the locknut an additional 30 degrees with the special tool"

Not being very mechanically knowledgable, I hope that is the pre-load adjustment you are talking about :-k

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Cheers for the detailed reply, and yes it is the rack pre-load adjustment I was interested in. Did the workshop manual give any handy hints as how this could be done with the rack in situ? Otherwise it's a strip down and set up on a bench job. :?

Oh, one more thing.......what is this mythical special tool??? :roll:

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
AndyBITR said:
Did the workshop manual give any handy hints as how this could be done with the rack in situ? Otherwise it's a strip down and set up on a bench job. :?
According to the manual this is done in situ, the whole procedure described being that of dismantling and reassembling the area concerned.

AndyBITR said:
what is this mythical special tool???
According to the manual special tool 07916-SA50001 is a 40mm locknut wrench - I'm assuming that not many people carry one of these in their household toolbox :lol:

AndyBITR said:
Cheers for the detailed reply
You're welcome. I may not be particularly mechanically-minded but can read and am more than happy to share any info I have (useful or otherwise!) :)

p.s. corbie has just posted THIS in case you miss it :wink:

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
It looks like a pretty tight fit to get any tools down there, as the pre-load adjustment is onthe underside of the rack!! :?

I'll have a go at downloading the manual Corbie has mentioned, but it looks like I'll need to speak to Honda anyway since they will have this special tool!!!

It's always the same.......an assortment of special tools for every car, but I suppose that's one way of making sure only they can do it! :idea: