Toyo or bridgestone?

2ndy

Advanced Member
Im about to buy a set of tyres for my track wheels. Im trying to get a bit of a balance between price and performance so im not worried about wearing them down a whole lot during track days. Ive got AD08s on my standard wheels which i love but would rather keep them good.

I can get T1rs delivered for £232 which i thought was a great price or i can pay an extra £50 for RE070s.. Has anyone had experience with both? Since im still very much a beginner and not really doing anything competitive i dont think i really need the likes of R888s or a dedicated track tyre just yet.

RichA

Advanced Member
I have had both ad08s and re070 on track and road and would say they are equally as good as each other, the fact the Bridgestones are a fair bit cheaper makes them a no brainer for me as I did not feel the ad08s offered any more grip than them. I can't really comment on the toyos but my mate found the sidewalks to be very soft on them on his s2000.

Why not use the ad08s you already have on track too and save switching wheels?

2ndy

Advanced Member
I just like to keep my standard wheels good so bought a set of rotas to use on track, theyre alot lighter and I dont have to worry about scrubbing the edges of the tyres as its still a road car. Having the extra set takes away any worry about driving home on illegal tyres

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Never tracked but I'd say the R888's are superior on track.

I have RE070 and the grip is improving on them on the road but as said I've never tracked the car.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I had T1r's on my old ep3 and my STI, I felt that grip wasn't the best in the wet and compared to my Goodyear's Eagle F1's the grip wasn't as good.

I think the T1r's are more suited to a sporty road tyre rather than a track tyre. I think the RE070 are your best bet for track. I've heard nothing but good things. I will be looking to get a set in the next few months myself :).

Dan34

Advanced Member
Don't bother with T1R's on track. I'd personally use your AD08's but if not then RE070's will be fine.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I've been using the RE070's for years and won't use anything else as they're a fantastic tyre for the money. Not the most fantastic it the wet or earlier morning damp circuit but on a nice dry day they're great and have give them some crazy stick around the bends on track days

2ndy

Advanced Member
Think I'll go for the re070s then, they seem to get great reviews and aren't dear enough to annoy me if I wreck then I suppose

ChesterJSY

Can't comment on the RE070's but have run the T1R's and wasn't impressed with them. They have a soft side wall and you can really feel the roll on the tyre, the edges also wear due to the sidewalls being not very stiff. I moved onto the toyo 888's and the difference is very noticeable. Have had a set of the old R888's and now using the new R888R's which are even better. You will have so much more confidence with them, very stiff side walls so no tyre roll and the grip is incredible. If you can stretch financially to the 888's do it, especially as you will only use them on track, you won't regret it, I can't stress how much difference a decent tyre can make on track!

2ndy

Advanced Member
The best bit about t1rs on cars I've had them on before was the soft tyre walls, added to the fun! It's only a track day for fun for me, I don't time Laps or anything like that so don't know if I need anything more than an entry performance tyre. Might end up getting a set of ad08s just to keep all my tyres the same.

At my last track they I had 4 odd tyres which where 4 years old do anything will be better than that

ferret

first time ive heard of someone buying worse tyres for track then they run on the street. T1R's are a budget tyre, id personally go with something more track orientated as street tyres overheat too easily on track. tyres are a consumable part so dont worry about them. if you drive hard on track they are going to wear down. just think of it like using petrol!!!!

2ndy

Advanced Member
T1rs may be cheap but doesn't take away the fact that they're a really good tyre. I definitely wouldn't class then as a budget tyre as they would it perform some of the dearer tyres on the market.

Also thanks for pointing out some obvious point there, I never thought about tyres wearing down if you drive hard...

Kevin85

Advanced Member
T1r is a good tyre, although quite soft so only good for short sessions or sprints where you need instant grip.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Another re070 fan here. Absolutely perfect for the car. Oem fitment on fd2 and Nissan gtr....says it all

Fez

Advanced Member
I run t1r's on my old car for 2 days and found them so terrible i had to take them off.

I did cadwell park yesterday on re070 and it was very wet in the morning (first time at cadwell, first wet track day) and they were awesome, i did lock up once or twice, but that was down to my lack of experience and poor driving lol. But they were spot on all morning and then it dried up and they were even better. Very impressed with them. And can't see me changing for a while.

Rom

Advanced Member
I've ran t1r and t1s before, and didnt think either were that good.
Especially as a tyre for track wheels.

If they are only for track, look at the federal 959 I think it's called. That gets good comments.
RE070 are more track than F1s. But both are Road tyres. If they are going to be purely for track, I'd look at track tyres, rather than road tyres.
888s are great, but cost a fair bit.
Do some research on other forums with a larger member base. There's a lot of tyres you wouldn't consider but get rave reviews, like the Federal. Sure there's Nankangs and similar that people swear by.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
AD08R's are mean't to be quite competitive against 888's from what Mike told me :) They will be my next tyre for definite.

2ndy

Advanced Member
AD08s are pretty good, Ive had them on my DC5 for a year or 2 now. The main thing that attracts me to them as they look good and theyre a 215 which is better on the OEM rim. R888s IMO are a better tyre based on the cars ive been in with them fitted, but then they are more in competition with the Yokohama A048s rather than the AD08s. I would never exceed the limits of the AD08s and if RE070s are used on a GTR and a FD2 then I highly doubt most people are going to exceed their limits either.

I dont really want a dedicated track tyre, well not for now anyway, as its still a road car and having road tyres keeps me the option of having either set of wheels on the car if i dont feel like changing back and forward :) I think next year if I still enjoy it id love to fit a baffled sump and some semi slicks but for now im just not fast enough!

2ndy

Advanced Member
Also my opinion from T1rs comes from my ek coupe whch had 15s, Maybe the lighter car and smaller wheels changes things but they where brilliant on it