TOYO R888 or FEDERAL RSR ?

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
Hi folks.
As I get too much wheel spin, decided to go for some semislicks.
But can't decide which one to go for...
There's a special offer on the RSR of 140 eur each with the installation. The R888 must be more expensive although I don't know the prices yet.
Also what size would you recommend to use on the stock wheels 215/45/17 or 225/45/17
The tyres I need is mainly for drag and every day use and not track days.
Cheers

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
RSR for your needs IMO. Semi slicks with stiff sidewalls are not as good as you'd think for launching hard

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
Ok mate. What is the average life of federals for mix driving ? What about the size? 225 or 215/45/17 for the oem wheels?

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
I've no idea mate, sorry. I've just put 225/45/17 tyres on my stock wheels and it has put the speedo back to correct (as per GPS anyway).

Rob.

Advanced Member
If your interested in grip and not the price then R888 is much better tyre, always used 215's on stock wheels as well... ;)

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
If your interested in grip and not the price then R888 is much better tyre, always used 215's on stock wheels as well... ;)
The difference is not huge, mate. Circa 30 eur per tyre. I am buying a set of 2 for the time being.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I have the rsr fitted to my car. I like them but i only use my car for road driving. For track or drag i would use r888 or ao48's.

sinbad

Advanced Member
+1 I have also used both and currently run the RSR's.
The R888 are grippier and need less heat to get them up to temperature which makes the better suited to drag racing, but the RSR cope with wet weather better and are longer lasting so are a better road tyre.

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
Thanks fOr the replies , guys.
Sinbad, how is the grip when launching the car from the dig or rolling from the 1st gear? ( I asked you, because you run a superfarged teg as far as I know ;) )

sinbad

Advanced Member
Yeah, Its fine if its dry, the teg isnt that suited to standing launches i find, but the RSR's are decent. Again Im not so sure they'll be as good as the R888's but there definatley a decent tyre, which is why im on my 2nd set.

Rob.

Advanced Member
The R888 are grippier and need less heat to get them up to temperature which makes the better suited to drag racing, but the RSR cope with wet weather better and are longer lasting so are a better road tyre.

Totally agree mate :wink:

BLaCkDC5R

Advanced Member
So R888s are the way to go. What do you say guys, is there a big difference from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17 ? does this 1cm make much of difference on grip in case of a semi slick?

sinbad

Advanced Member
So R888s are the way to go. What do you say guys, is there a big difference from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17 ? does this 1cm make much of difference on grip in case of a semi slick?
I tried some 225's but didnt get on with them, the car changed direction alittle slower and i found the limit of grip once breached kind of went off the scale, the breakaway wasnt as linear, although this could be to do with the tyre make/model and whether this would be what you need in a tyre.
I didnt find any noticeable improvement in traction, but its quite hard to guage going from a used tyre to a brand new one when i swapped.

sinbad

Advanced Member
Personally I use Camskill and if they do not have stock I try, Black circles, tyre traders and mytyres.

I got the last RSR's from camskill in the 215/45/17 fitment i believe.

George K

Advanced Member
888- Probably generally out of stock as they can go off (get hard) in the cold - best to buy new stock in the spring - this applies to any soft track tyre..