Track day noob

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I've just spent the last year getting my car to a point I'm happy with it and am now looking to do my first track day.

Could someone recommend an event for me to attend? I'm thinking about an MSV track day at cadwell on the 15th Aug,

Is insurance compulsory? If so could you recommend a good insurance company,

Lastly if I were to bring some tools and spare bits In case, where would these be kept on the day?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I'm at coombe on the 6th with a mate. Both novices if you fancy that?

Tools, generic socket set, trolley jack, fuel can, spare fluids (oil brake antifreeze) etc

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
I did my first ever track session at Bedford with MSV, it was a 1 hour "How Fast" session. It was very well organised and thankfully it was quite quiet!

Took with me various tools and fluids (oil, coolant and brake fluid). Make sure that your fluids, especially oil level is right at the max level before you go thrashing it :D

Insurance is not compulsory but it's recommended, anything could happen - but hopefully not!

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I'm at coombe on the 6th with a mate. Both novices if you fancy that?

Tools, generic socket set, trolley jack, fuel can, spare fluids (oil brake antifreeze) etc

Might take you up on that! Where did you book your track day?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I paid the registration fee so got it for £169. If you are planning on another one in the next 12 months, you'll at least save that.

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I like this idea of an hour session, I want do some kind of evening/half day session. Im currently investigating now

spooke

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
I like this idea of an hour session, I want do some kind of evening/half day session. Im currently investigating now
For me it was enough track time, the wear on the tyres from just an hour is enough to put me off a full day as I'd be out there non-stop else!

The only benefit of longer for me would be some time to mess with damper and tyre pressure settings.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
I paid the registration fee so got it for £169. If you are planning on another one in the next 12 months, you'll at least save that.

Aren't the MLR lads experienced? I don't want to hold anyone up or go on a super busy track...

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Probably. But you are asked experience level after booking mate.

I assume the track will group up guys by experience to minimise and frustration :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Not sure there are any spaces left. Nothing comes up when I click on the 'book track day' button.
I have an MLR account but there's no events in the track day section.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Worth calling maybe?

HOW TO BOOK:
Places are on a first come first served basis and can be purchased through the MLR Shop or by calling us direct on 08451 25 26 23
* Please be aware of the MLR's cancellation policy *

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Worth calling maybe?

HOW TO BOOK:
Places are on a first come first served basis and can be purchased through the MLR Shop or by calling us direct on 08451 25 26 23
* Please be aware of the MLR's cancellation policy *

Cool. Ill call in the morning. If not I might book brand hatch or cadwell

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I did my first ever track session at Bedford with MSV, it was a 1 hour "How Fast" session. It was very well organised and thankfully it was quite quiet!

Took with me various tools and fluids (oil, coolant and brake fluid). Make sure that your fluids, especially oil level is right at the max level before you go thrashing it :D

Insurance is not compulsory but it's recommended, anything could happen - but hopefully not!
I thought about buying a day of track insurance on last event in Abingdon Airfield, but my mates they don't buy any. So, in the end, I have not bought one.

Track insurance coverage is not related to our other cars' policies. So, I still don't know in the worst case, how they compensate it? Is there any pre-agreed value?
The market value for JDM is different and also difficult to calculate. I doubt the amount they compensate (if total loss) can match the real value of the car.

I am very interested to know if there is any member who got claim experience on track day coverage. My friends said it should not affect other insurer's policies, but they share the database, am I right?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
hamks18psi said:
I thought about buying a day of track insurance on last event in Abingdon Airfield, but my mates they don't buy any. So, in the end, I have not bought one.

Track insurance coverage is not related to our other cars' policies. So, I still don't know in the worst case, how they compensate it? Is there any pre-agreed value?
The market value for JDM is different and also difficult to calculate. I doubt the amount they compensate (if total loss) can match the real value of the car.

I am very interested to know if there is any member who got claim experience on track day coverage. My friends said it should not affect other insurer's policies, but they share the database, am I right?
The value will be the cost of replacing to a like example, the same as any insurance policy. The whole point is to put you in the same financial position as you were (less any excess).

Every quote I've had ask for the value too.

£85 would be expensive if you do one every week, otherwise, 1% of car value is a good deal for me.

Indi

Advanced Member
Donnington Park is a really good track especially for first track day as it has got loads of run off areas just in case mate :)

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
The value will be the cost of replacing to a like example, the same as any insurance policy. The whole point is to put you in the same financial position as you were (less any excess).

Every quote I've had ask for the value too.

£85 would be expensive if you do one every week, otherwise, 1% of car value is a good deal for me.

Thanks!
Which insurance company you used in your example?

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
Indi said:
Donnington Park is a really good track especially for first track day as it has got loads of run off areas just in case mate :)
Last Friday when I had my first track day with my DC5, I did not buy the insurance, and I have got the car for just less than 2 months.
Every move I did on the track is very rational. Never push out to the limit. Whenever there are westfield or other kit car shown in my rear mirror, I just step off the pedal and and let them pass.
Lot of break in the momentum is not easy, but I got to the stage with sufficient test and tell people DC5 is better than EP3 (UK version) on track overall. If the shifting skill is good, 6-speed is not too bad, although 5-gear on EP3 made things easier in some track.

I watched youtube about Donnington park DC5, which looks like a proper track. But it is a bit far AND it is not cheap. Would work hard to save enough to try in near future.