track day wheels

tedg

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Need to find some track day wheels to hold some track day tires. This way i do not have to run on illegal tyres, I can just swap the wheels round.

Any suggestions?

Suped

Advanced Member
Could buy another set of OEM wheels and slap semi slicks on them. Theres a set going at the for sale section. Could be an idea??!! :D

sh33n

Advanced Member
Pro Race 1.2s are light mate, and you can get them in black so easier to clean that brake dust off!

When are you tracking mate? Let me know cause I might get involved as well :)

Do people run 16s or 17s for track days, obviously 16" tyres can usually be got cheaper depending on profile etc.

tedg

Advanced Member
Costing up this little 'project' is expensive. Perhaps I will stick to 2 sets of standard road tyres, just so I can use them that bit longer on the track. Then swap the sets around.

dan the man

Advanced Member
just use a set that have got to near illegal. no big tread blocks to move about and generate heat so should be better on track.

Just buy second hand tires that people get rid off and use them as your track tires. potenzas are ideal, i use AD07s which are awsome

tedg

Advanced Member
sh33n said:
OK, just got a few bits to sort out........ Bedford areodrome would be good

sh33n

Advanced Member
tedg said:
sh33n said:
Yer plenty of run off :oops: :D

I don't have any track wheels at present, and I'm sure the Goodyears will just melt on track which aren't cheap.

Give me a heads up so I can try sort something after holiday, when the damn car tax is also due :roll:

Jayk

Advanced Member
sh33n said:
tedg said:
sh33n said:
Yer plenty of run off :oops: :D

I don't have any track wheels at present, and I'm sure the Goodyears will just melt on track which aren't cheap.

Give me a heads up so I can try sort something after holiday, when the d*mn car tax is also due :roll:
you will find your goodyears will melt for sure, had some gsd3's on my vx220 which were fresh, after 30mins round bruntingthrope on a really hot day, they were a mess, had to scurb them hard on the way home round a fre rounds to be the melted bits off!

Tedg - just get yourself some road legal semi slicks - i have on order some Toyo R888's. Or get some Yoko AO48R's. Try www.camskill.co.uk

Jay

mike99

Advanced Member
so what size wheels are actually best for a teg to handle on? 16's? 17's? 18's?

thanks.

Duncs

we have chaps running 15"s, 16"s and 17"s on track.

i run 17", Rota (look like Mugen) only because i had a set of jap spec yoko Advan A046 to fit them, otherwise i would run 16".

Wooty runs 16" TD 1.2 i think
and Mike will run a 15", again a TD wheel but pretty rare.
Jonster runs whatever the lightest is 8) 8)

jonster

Advanced Member
I'm running TD 15's like Mike. Part of the reason for this is to keep the cost down when it comes to buying replacement tyres. The other reason is to have the lightest wheel/tyre combination possible and reduce the final drive.

If you can't get TD 15's I'd recommend ROTA 16's. These are what I run on the road. They are pretty light and good value.

mike99

Advanced Member
so was there any need for honda to go to 17's for the dc5? as if its just as good going for smaller wheels, say a 15" or a 16", for road and track use i will. also basically i want my teg to be handling like a beast.

but what size tyres would be needed for a 15" and 16" wheels to keep to as near as possible to the standard rolling radius?

thanks very much.

Duncs

i can't fault them, mine came across with them fitted,
my mate had a real snag putting them on my rota rims as the sidewall is rock hard.
i have used them on track and they are really good, the only time they went off was at bedford on about the 5/6 lap which at bedford is a long way.

great on the road but not too clever in the wet and i prefer the more supple GSD3 for every day on the road, wet and dry.

if i could would i buy a set, YES you bet i would

Gunn79

Advanced Member
If I wanna run a 16" wheel, what sort of offset should I be looking for to clear the front brakes, or is it more dependant on the wheel design type? Also what size tyre would you use with a 16" wheel?

Evs

Advanced Member
I would say it's more dependent on the design of the wheel, although the offset will need to be in the right ball park of course.

I can try some Volk SE37s or CE28s in 16 on to see if they fit, if you're interested? Can't remember the offsets now though, somewhere around the 45 mark IIRC.

Tyres I'd go 205/55 or 225/50 - loads available in these sizes.