Track days on slicks

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
Not sure where to post this,

Is a baffled sump really necessary for tracks days if your running slicks?

How do slicks compare to R888?

This is not for my DC5 but my CRX track car.

Any help most welcome :D

mikegsi

Staff member
a possible place to post may have been the petrol tyres and oil section :wink: but not to worry :D

the d16 crx already has a baffled sump mate so slicks wouldnt be a problem, not sure about the b16 though, either way you would need a baffled sump to prevent oil surge/starvation

obv as the crx is a track car i take it you have a roll cage in as most trackday companies want this if your running full slicks

i cant tell you how they compare with the likes of 888's only to say (as im sure you know :wink: ) the 888's make a BIG difference over road tyres on track days, the difference i felt in my crx was unreal!!

fred

On road tyres cornering speeds on a track will be fairly high, with slicks I can imagine you will be getting close to needing a baffled sump. Be a worth while investment, afterall a baffled sump is cheaper than a rebuild.

The difference between a decent set up slicks upto temp and 888's will be seconds!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
r888's and slicks will both require a baffled sump but only if you have uprated suspension, if not don't worry, beware tho that many tracks do not allow slicks unless you have a rollcage, it has nothing to do with the company running the day sometimes it's the circuit policy.

so my advice is always check.
time differences- on a crx wouldn't like to say but on a race dc5 slicks were about 1.5 seconds a lap quicker than dj02's and about 2 seconds a lap quicker than R888's, but lifespan is reduced.

go for Dunlop djo2's or R888's

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I think i will stick to the R888's slicks seems too much hassle really. They are 1/2 the price of the dunlops and it is not as though i'm looking for 0.5 seconds per lap. Just so much grip compared to road tyres, but driving with them on the road, urrgghhh.

Do you know if the B16A2 has a baffeled sump as standard? i think i read somewhere they did.

I have tanabe race springs on and there is very little body roll! Running silkolene pro s, same as my DC5. Somethign i got concerned about while hammering round Donington.

mikegsi

Staff member
crx-uk.co.uk would be the best place to research the b16 lump, im bot sure about it as i had the d16a9

prob the same as the rest though, baffled sump is good but not 100% neccessary, just keep an eye on the oil, some fill it slightly over for trackdays on semi slicks

ive just bought some 888's for my jdm ctr (ep3), that doesnt have a baffled sump so i'll be keeping a close eye on oil levels

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've done plenty of track days in the Teg without the need for a baffled sump and that's running R888/A048. I always make sure the oil level is 2-3mm over the maximum mark and use Valvoline 10-60 Racing Oil which maintains the oil pressure better than other oils i've tried.

Option

Advanced Member
Do you know if the B16A2 has a baffeled sump as standard? i think i read somewhere they did.
As far as i believe the b16's did not hhave a baffelled sump as standard, the b18c4 might have though so i am told.

rarerims

non of the B series had baffled sumps standard

you do not want to run slicks without one.

I dont agree with the lasting point on slicks, the slicks I use on trackdays outlast r888 at least twice (medium/hard) slicks

They are awesome simple as

J