Track Tyre Recomendation

haitch

Advanced Member
6 days is a fair amount to last, many variables - driver skill, car set up/suspension camber etc, open pit & sessions, brakes, pressures, tyre rotation etc..
The RS2 is a reasonable tyre as a stand in for the track but 888 or A048 are better, A048 - I found them to understeer less, have more grip & and perform better when pushing on, some prefer the 888, and many would argue - is the A048 worth the extra money over the 888?! I recomend medium A048, solid in all conditions, as usual 'try' to avoid standing water or icy conditions.

If unsure I would say try the 888's first and work up to the more expensive tyres (V70A, A048, Dirreza) until you find what works for you.

alucardo

Advanced Member
1 degree negative camber all round just fast road really. Project my 2 piece disk and probably a fast road pad like mintex 1144s'. Driving style is hard to say really...

How long do your a048's last?

Paul G

Members
Another might be the Silverstone T.day tyre, we have to use them in the Nippon racing.

Good in the dry, last well & ok in the damp (not that good in the wet).

IMO a good tyre for the money. The 888's IMO are good in the wet, but go off after
about 3 laps in the dry (good tyre's for TimeAttack).

Think the Silverstone's are about £140 each from service & sport......

Hope that a help

Paul.

haitch

Advanced Member
It really does depend on how mad I go, factors I mentioned already and the track, fronts maybe 1-3 days, rears sometimes 5 days, again though I swap front to back to try and extend the life and even run them on opposite sides against the tread rotation if they are taking a beating on the day, certain corners can really scrub them down.

Its nice to have a couple of sets at a trackday and those at HOT will have seen the car fully loaded :lol: , but if you only have one set you want to get the max out of them, I run 15's but 17" are not cheap!

Dan2020

Advanced Member
I prefer the A048's to the 888's, worth the bit extra.

Run a DC5 on the Pro Race 1 15's with A048's and you won't look back. There was a set for sale on here not so long ago, might still be available!!

black teg

Dan2020 said:

Run a DC5 on the Pro Race 1 15's with A048's and you won't look back. There was a set for sale on here not so long ago, might still be available!!
Yeah there still for sale, awesome wheels and tyres :twisted:

Paul G

Members
The 15's are cheaper & fit in the car easier than 17's...You could get a set of wet's in as well
:xyes:

Not as good to look at as 17's, but you only have them on at the track anyway.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
black teg said:
Dan2020 said:

Yeah there still for sale, awesome wheels and tyres :twisted:
I was pimping your sales for you!!;) I have the same setup and love it!! Just noticed your from Bristol, not too far from me!!

Hancock

Advanced Member
alucardo said:
Right I now have a baffled sump and ive been wondering what semi slicks to get the criteria I guess I need is:

1. Will last 6 track days
2. Can handle wet/damp conditions

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s664p9457 ao48r med/hard
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s664p4064 hankook rs2

Any other suggestions?
If its wet the f1 assy's are really good, i've managed 5 trackdays in them two of which have been in very wet conditions and they really do grip. However in the dry semi slicks are always going to be better.

Im thinking of getting a second set of wheels with semi's on and stick them in the boot for trackdays. i will be trying the rs2 as soon as they are available ,i think they are quite a hard compound so hopefully will offer good grip and last longer then the f1's in the dry, if it rains then put the f1's on. Both tyres are a lot cheaper than 888's and ao48r's as well.

Or get some slicks :twisted: a lot cheaper if you buy second hand too

alucardo

Advanced Member
Yep all back and sorted.....

I consider rs2's more like a summer tyre than semi slicks but I was considering them as they offer very good grip and last longer than 888's . Ill keep an eye out for a048 or semi slick on a few forums see what pops up....In the wet id just run my falken453's they are fine in the wet..

tron2k3

Advanced Member
RE070's are worth a shot, could never get them to break up and very sticky, with stiff sidewalls so great turn in. I think I prefer them to A048s

alucardo

Advanced Member
re70 are a good summer road tyre like the hankooks but tbh I doubt there in the same league as 888's ao48's and other semi slicks.

Dont think i could go with 15's tbh...Maybe 16's ...

tron2k3

Advanced Member
alucardo said:
re70 are a good summer road tyre like the hankooks but tbh I doubt there in the same league as 888's ao48's and other semi slicks.

Dont think i could go with 15's tbh...Maybe 16's ...
The issue with the softer compounds is they go off after a few laps, while the RE070s will still hold up, I was running the MH A048s and after around 3 -4 laps you could feel them going off too, maybe I just drive too hard, or just try to get as many fast laps as possible before I get black flagged :lol: imo of course

haitch

Advanced Member
Not tried the V70A, heard they have excellent dry grip but not as good as others on the damp days, will try them this year.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Ive come to the conclusion that 163 quid a tyre plus fitting for 5 days driving is something I cant justify at present so ive been looking at summer tyres or those with great feel and grip to run over the summer months and on track.

So far ive been looking at Michelin Pilot Sport and re070's ..... Any other choices? Or experiences with these tyres thanks.