Trackday Check-list

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
Doing my First trackday in the Teg next friday and was looking for some advice from our seasoned track drivers!! :lol:

I've borrowed a Helmet from a friend and I've got 1litre of oil and a mini compressor with digital readout to take along.

My brake discs and pads were new about 750 miles ago and seem to be nicely bedded in.

I've got 4 Bridgestone RE070's with around 500 miles on them so should be up to the job.

my question is....Have I forgotten anything??? :xhelp:

Mark_teg

Staff member
A wrench (preferably a torque wrench) to check your wheel nuts..
Good safety measure as that area will get hotter than normal on track.

dave c

400hp K20
can of petrol in the boot for top up, ;) i would imagine that you are going to burn loads + i think its recommended to slightly overfill your oil to avoid oil starvation on the high g corners too

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
Good Idea on the Wrench Mark I've actually read a couple of horror stories of wheels flying off!!!

Dave, on the Fuel can't you just nip off in between sessions to fill up? :-k

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Know where your tow points are (not saying you don't btw :)).

Not a necessity and you will most probably find people are willing to share, but having a basic tool kit can be handy.

sinbad

Advanced Member
tools, fuel (yes you can nip off if theres a garage near by) , brake fluid, jack, driving license, long sleeve top, spare wheel in case you get a puncture (guess you'll be wanting to drive home), you old discs and pads just in case one of yours crubles/perishes (at least they should get you home).

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
I always take a bit of 3x2 wood 20 inches lond to put infront or behind the wheel once parked after a session so the car does not roll off.

DOnt put the hand break on after you come off track as it could warp your rear discs.

You can leave it in gear once the engine is off but i prefer the wooden chock.

Cheers

Have fun.

jay82

Advanced Member
Chris-DC5 said:
I always take a bit of 3x2 wood 20 inches lond to put infront or behind the wheel once parked after a session so the car does not roll off.

DOnt put the hand break on after you come off track as it could warp your rear discs.

You can leave it in gear once the engine is off but i prefer the wooden chock.

Cheers

Have fun.
remember hearing that brake fluid boils quicker if you leave the hand brake up also :xconfused:

oregato

Advanced Member
Other advice would be to check the condition of your car before and after each stint you do out in track.

Here are some helpful tips I can think of..

Leave the car running for a few minutes before heading out on track. I do this, don't see the harm in doing it and think it's better to have the car up to temperature fully before going out.

Do a warm up and warm down lap. Take it handy for your first lap, and always do a warm down lap before coming in.

Check your mirrors! Can't stress this enough, if something is catching up, it means that they're faster than you, so just let them through.

Things to check after coming in would include - oil/fluid levels, tires (condition, wear and pressure)

Apart from that, don't go flat out until your used to the track, get someone who knows the track to bring you around and show you the lines.

Most importantly - ENJOY YOURSELF. These cars were built for track, there are no public roads as fun as the track IMO

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Have you tried your mate's helmet on? Do you know the condition of it? Inside,as well. :!:

IntegraDan

Advanced Member
To answer the questions....

I'm going to Croft

and yes I've worn the helmet a few times as a passenger... 8)

Thanks for everybody's input can always count on you guys ;)

sinbad

Advanced Member
IntegraDan said:
So anyone know if you can pop off for fuel or should I take my 10litre?

yes you can pop off if needed, your right near caterick garrison so there should be a few petrol stations about.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
I'm at Oulton Park this saturday and wanted a quick question about what people recommend to set their tyre pressures (psi) too whilst on track?

For normal road use mines around 2.2 bar which is approx 33 psi IIRC? Their for hankook v110 ventus. Would you advise leaving them as it is or more/less? Cheers.

sinbad

Advanced Member
Start with between 3-5 psi less in each tyre. What your trying to achieve is getting them upto your normal pressures when they are fully warm. So if after a session you come in the pits and straight after they are 34psi, then drop them down another psi, so the next time your upto speed your pressures will be at the ones you prefer most, (in your case 33psi). keep checking them after each session and adjust them accordingly. Obviously you can play about with the pressures through the day to see what suits you best.

Dont forget that when you first go out your pressures will be lower than what your used to, so will take alittle time to warm up and get the pressures back up, usually around 1-2laps. Also dont forget that at the end of the day when your preparing to go home, your pressures will be lower than normal so consider taking a pump or going to a local petrol station on the way home to put them back up.

TimB

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
I'm at Oulton Park this saturday and wanted a quick question about what people recommend to set their tyre pressures (psi) too whilst on track?

For normal road use mines around 2.2 bar which is approx 33 psi IIRC? Their for hankook v110 ventus. Would you advise leaving them as it is or more/less? Cheers.
depends on the temperatures on the day, but I would start with 28psi front and 30 psi on the back. do your first sessions and when finished first job is to re check the pressures, they should be reading 30 psi allround, adjust and re test again after each session. Check your oil at lunch time and also check all the fluid caps are tight. Kepp the car in gear and do not use the handbrake when parked.. Enjoy

celox performance

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:

I was there today but only watching and saw you in one of the garages. I also saw you a couple of times on track too :) . That yellow GT3 with the racing numbers was very quick :shock: . The 2 new GTR's were a lot slower than expected and I only watched them go round a couple of times each. Maybe they were thinking about the cost of those tyres :lol:

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
celox performance said:
Yella Fella said:

I was there today but only watching and saw you in one of the garages. I also saw you a couple of times on track too :) . That yellow GT3 with the racing numbers was very quick :shock: . The 2 new GTR's were a lot slower than expected and I only watched them go round a couple of times each. Maybe they were thinking about the cost of those tyres :lol:
You shoulda came over and said hello :D... first time on track, I was quite hesitant to be fair, didn't feel it was natural doing what the instructor had suggested but towards the end of the day, confidence was instilled... was quite mind blowing to be fair.

Instructor killed my car almost :xcry: :lol: , pushed it nearly 80%, at the end of it, my brakes were smoking, lost my hub caps on my wheels, and oil was nearly at 115 degrees! Man he sure pushed it, only thing that beat him was an evo and that was on a straight during that session. Was funny seeing scoobies and such move aside. Can't wait to do it again, oh and probably need a new set of tyres!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
With regards to the tyre pressures, they would increase by a couple psi even with normal road driving so ideally should they always be a couple psi lower to accomodate for the increase?
For example, I think the DC5 standard is 33 front/32 rear (That's what mine are cold), but after a drive they probably go up to about 34 or so, and especially after a quick drive but is the temperature stated what they should be when warm?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?