Trackdays with Full Slicks

Jayk

Advanced Member
Guys,

Ive been offered Yokohama Advan WTCC Full Slicks., quite cheap. My DC5 does not have a roll cage.

Ive called trackdays.co.uk who have spoken with Oulton Park, and told me there is no restriction on what tyres standard car can run. Ive informed them there is no roll cage in my car.

I have a trailer to take it up there but wanted everyones thoughts on using full slicks.

Also will a 245 tyre go on a 7.5" Width wheel ok?
Thanks
Jay

JT3173

Advanced Member
:shock: Dont hit the track with a bog standard sump :!: :!:

Get a baffled sump at the very least.

I have bought a new sump that I will get modded next year when I run Toyo R888's, I have been told that the OEM sump will cope with these but I dont want to take the risk for the sake of £200.

Speak to TDI or TGM.

Jayk

Advanced Member
I thought this might be the case. I ran R888's with a OEM sump on a few trackdays without any problems, just check the oil levels etc.

But i wasnt sure with these. Might just leave them as i dont have a cage and safety first really. Might got for Federal SS 598 RS-Rs.

Grangey

Advanced Member
i have no idea with stuff like this. why cant you standard sump cope with track? and how does the fact he is running slicks effect this? or is it just the case itl be on track so will need an uprated sump...?

rick c

Advanced Member
Grangey said:
i have no idea with stuff like this. why cant you standard sump cope with track? and how does the fact he is running slicks effect this? or is it just the case itl be on track so will need an uprated sump...?
Slicks allow greater cornering speeds hence higher lateral G's resulting in all the oil collecting at one side of the sump and not being picked up by the oil pump

Grangey

Advanced Member
well thats just abit silly isnt it. anyone making a car with sense should put the uprated sumps as standard!

celox performance

Advanced Member
All the track days i've been on say that a roll cage is manditory for a car with slicks and I know Oulton Park also say this in the booking confirmation. They also say that arms and legs must be covered but I always wear a T-shirt, so i'm not sure how relaxed either of these rules are :?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Grangey said:
well thats just abit silly isnt it. anyone making a car with sense should put the uprated sumps as standard!
99% of owners will probably never track their cars let alone use slicks so whats the point??

it's like saying why didn't they add larger brakes etc....its all about the $$$$

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
naah i disagree, i've said this before but people say a standard road car doesn't need a baffled sump but likewise a standard road car also doesn't need > 6k rpm, brembo brakes, recaro seats, etc...

if a car is obviously designed for performance above and beyond what is needed on the road then all things should be taken into account and that includes the sump...

yes it is about the $$$ but how much would a bit more metal in the sump cost at the production stage?

Evs

Advanced Member
The car is a compromise in many respects, personally I think a baffled sump would just add to the unit cost for no benefit to the manufacturer. If people are going to track them then the chances are they'll be upgrading other parts - brakes, suspension etc - so what's another £200 or so for a sump?

Back to the original question, I'd ask whether you'll really have more fun just because you have more grip, and are you prepared for the other consequences ie stress on the shell, having a bigger accident when you do go off etc?

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Back to the original question, I'd ask whether you'll really have more fun just because you have more grip, and are you prepared for the other consequences ie stress on the shell, having a bigger accident when you do go off etc?
Agreed...bushes take a beasting with all that extra grip

rarerims

BadBadtz said:
Evs said:
You have miles more fun wiht slicks IMO

makes 100bhp difference @ least.

245 is too wide for a 7.5" thou, give me a ring for some 8" wide wheels bud

J

Jayk

Advanced Member
rarerims said:
BadBadtz said:
Evs said:
You have miles more fun wiht slicks IMO

makes 100bhp difference @ least.

245 is too wide for a 7.5" thou, give me a ring for some 8" wide wheels bud

J
Couldnt get the time off work to mate, shocker at the mo. Got called in yesterday at 10:30pm and didnt get home till 8am, full Disaster recovery.

I will get on the track in the summer and full slicks for sure mate :) Will give you a shout!

Jay

letterkenny

Hi all,
Just to add my tuppence worth,

As far as one company, Bookatrack, who I have used and found very good go.... there was a smallish car, Fiesta XR" or the like a few years back that ran slicks without a cage. Think it my have been at Angelsey , but in any case they rolled the car purely thro' cornering... and the results were not pretty. Hence cages mandatory on slicks since.

As far as dry sumping goes, it is not a cheap modification, involves a lot more mechanicals etc. Also in a caterham for instance the oil capacity goes from about 3 litres to about 7.5 with a dry sump, which means it takes longer to heat up and increases servicing costs a lot. The parts alone are over a grand for a K series caterham IIRC so as previously stated for most of the people most of the time it is not necessary.
Also in cars that are dry sumped as standard, some Porsche GT3 etc, they also have a cage built in.....but look at the pricetag!!! :shock: