Trackdays

aarona10

I really want to do a track day but being a total novice and having only ever done a super car experience day i'm slightly worried about being a nuisance and holding people up.

Do any track day providers do a novice day? and what tips would you recommend to someone who has never done a track day?

Also am i correct in saying that i can turn up to any track day and just watch? plan on doing this to get an overall feel on how things are run and what the day consists of.

adam.

Advanced Member
Plenty of TDO's offer newbie days, with instructors on hand.

If you're near Bedfordshire, head to to Bedford Autodrome. It's flat, with acres of run off and not much to hit.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I would look to do a Honda on Track day at Bedford. They are usually pretty quiet and the driving standards is excellent. I am a member of Lotus on Track (Elise owner) and Honda's on Track (DC5 owner) and they are the best run days ever, with great respect and manners from other drivers. Speak to Mark over at Honda's on Track as Lotus on Track have an evening Bedford session coming up and you might be able to join that.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Linus27 said:
I would look to do a Honda on Track day at Bedford. They are usually pretty quiet and the driving standards is excellent. I am a member of Lotus on Track (Elise owner) and Honda's on Track (DC5 owner) and they are the best run days ever, with great respect and manners from other drivers. Speak to Mark over at Honda's on Track as Lotus on Track have an evening Bedford session coming up and you might be able to join that.
Exactly this ^^

If you can't make it to a HOT track day then MSV do novice track days which will be in sessions e.g. 3 groups an hour run every hour i.e.
09:00 - group 1
09:20 - group 2
09:40 - group 3
10:00 - group 1 etc etc

Driver briefings before the track day starts will explain everything and will give you the opportunity to ask questions on anything that is unclear.

You sound like you will be quite self conscious in being respectful to other cars on track days. A good thing (the respect part) but be careful that you are not too self conscious in that it distracts you from your driving - be aware of what's going on around you but first and foremost make sure you are in control of your car and are prepared for the next manoeuvre on track.

To answer your last question, yes you can turn up to a track day to watch. Whereabouts are you located?

ChesterJSY

aarona10 said:
I really want to do a track day but being a total novice and having only ever done a super car experience day i'm slightly worried about being a nuisance and holding people up.

Do any track day providers do a novice day? and what tips would you recommend to someone who has never done a track day?

Also am i correct in saying that i can turn up to any track day and just watch? plan on doing this to get an overall feel on how things are run and what the day consists of.
Hi aarona10,

I have been involved with track days for over 10 years and can assure you that you are not alone in thinking you'll be holding everyone up as a first timer. It is probably the most frequent question we get asked! The most important thing to remember is that it is a track day not a race. Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone that has done a track day before will have been a newbie at some stage! I would strongly suggest going out as a passenger with someone experienced and observe and learn the track before going out on your own.

We put together a little guide which should answer most questions you have, every track day organiser has there own way of doing things and these are explained at the briefings but this should hopefully help you a bit.

http://www.delta-racing.co.uk/trackday-guide/

The DC5 is fantastic on track, you will not regret taking it on one! Enjoy :)

Justintian

Advanced Member
Exactly what other people said! Excellent tips there. I have been to three trackdays so far, organised by local club but they are more specific on new comers plus sometimes very experienced race cars and drivers, if you are new to this, they normally separate you into newbie groups and you get more sessions to practice. Better take a off track instruction before you start and remember certain rules. Take a few sessions before ask for a proper instructor to sit beside you as you will be more relaxed and they can give you some constructive reviews on where to brake, what gears into the coner etc. this is quite helpful. It is a completely different driving set of skills you need to master the track. A camera on the side to film your actions and some track layout would be very helpful for you to improve.
Also, some skills you may aware eg heal toe, trail brake etc are very useful in track driving, the faster you master them the better you will experience the trackday. Practice them canbe done on everyday B road driving. Last thing is take the corners one by one, each session set up one corner to do your best try to master it.
End of the day, be smooth on everything you do and practice practice and practice. The more you on the track the better you shift gears brakes and taking corners and more confident you will be.
Read this before you go to the first trackday:
http://www.turnfast.com
It has everything you need to know from beginners up to experienced drivers.

aarona10

Cheers for the advice lads, appreciate it, think i will pop down to Croft next time there's a track day on to see how things are run.

blueguy said:
To answer your last question, yes you can turn up to a track day to watch. Whereabouts are you located?
Based in Newcastle.