Trialled headlight polish

JamesL

Advanced Member
I did mine a month ago and sealed them they are starting to turn crappy again and look pants when the headlights are on, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and just order new ones for the 10 year+ reassurance of looking good

Marky.

I have been having a bash at restoring my headlights over the last wee while. Managed to get one of them looking pretty good..

A before and after comparison

However, I just can‘t seem to get the second headlight to look as clear as the first one I did.

I‘m in the process of sanding and buffing all over again, but I‘m beginning to wonder if the inner side of this headlight has begun to fade? I just can‘t seem to shift this tint of blue from it.

Compared to this one after the buffing stage

I‘m hoping the photos do show the difference. Anyone got any inputs? I‘m sanding from 800 through to 2000 and then Scholl S20 compound. Finished off with Rustoleum clear coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It‘s uv damage so will be on both sides... inevitably the only way to cure is to replace with new. Polishing etc will only do so much. It‘s made worse with these headlights having a dark infill, this highlights that they aren‘t clear afterwards as much as first thought... especially when you park up next to one with new fitted.

Could try and split them, but a lot of effort will be required and then you‘ll have to make sure they are water tight again. ( sealer etc)

What you e done looks good, and you can probably not get them any better. Bite the bullet... but new :)

Marky.

Damn, what I was dreading to hear! Funny how it‘s affected one light more than the other. Ah well, a major improvement for the time being anyway

I do plan to buy new at some point, but probably next year as I‘ve bought some new alloys and tyres to fit first 🤭

Cennix1

I had this problem last year, I kept trying to polish them up but within weeks they'd be bad again. I bit the bullet and bought new. After selling the old ones off it set me back £250 as Tegiwa had a discount on. It completely reinvigorated the car and I don't regret it for a moment.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
I‘m sure they have some sort of anti-uv coating on from new and as soon as you sand it back you cut through this coating which makes them go cloudy faster

You can delay this slightly by putting a few coats of wax on them 👍🏻

Marky.

Yup, the Rustoleum clear coat is anti-uv so I‘m interested to see how well that holds up.

This is how the light turned out. Still a blue haze but a certainly a damn sight better than the yellow.

Quite happy overall but will defo treat myself over winter for a nice upgrade next year :)

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
Just make sure you bang a couple of coats of decent wax over them this can delay the re-hazing 👍🏻

They do polish up nicely though