Trouble removing oem exhaust manifold

tombakers

I'm in the process of removing the whole exhaust system to replace it with my new stainless dc sports system and am having a but of bother removing the manifold.

I can't remove one of the nuts that joins the 2-1 cat part to the 4-2 manifold part. I did Have it moving but had to use my leg with a long breaker bar and it just seemed to get tighter and tighter and now it's starting to round off.

Do I need to split the manifold in 2 to remove or will it come out as one?

Thanks

tombakers

You can't get to it, too high up. Unless you can unbolt stuff around it, will look tomorrow.

So is that a no to taking the mnaifold of as one piece?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Get a Dremel bud, £50 mines cost and I'd be very stuck without it.

If you are happy to drop the subframe you will get it out in one piece, I found I had to my subframe by a lot more than I suspected but I suspect that was because I'd didn't remove the manifold heat shields, so I'd advise removing those too.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Just replied to your other thread, I'll delete it in a sec..

I removed mine in two parts, but didn't even attempt it as one so can't say for sure if it's possible.

Use a 6 pointed socket, this should prevent rounding the hexagonal nut.. You might have to hammer on a socket slightly smaller than intended.

tombakers

Can't get one of the bolts on the heat shield out either, rusted in.

I have a dremel so could look at that later but this nut is pretty beastly, a proper grinder would probably be best however I don't think there's space.

I don't remember any of my older Hondas having this much trouble just changing the manifold.

kazmo

Advanced Member
cant see any reason it wont come off in one piece, it meet the b pipe at the same place so has to be very similar size to a one piece after market mani.... obviously you will have to drop down the ARB as well....

tombakers

Proper beastly bolt holding the manifold together I mean.

I get what your saying about the 6 pointed socket.. I did smash a 16mm by it wasn't 6 pointed but it didn't have the purchase, I will this next.

tombakers

Right got the fricking thing off, what a ball ache

Btw the manifold will come out through the bottom with the arb lowered and the engine mount removed but still requires a lot of jiggling about

Now having fun trying to get one of the bolts in the rear engine mount, doesn't line up very well, had enough. Will crack it tomorrow.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Glad you got there, not fun is it.

You don't it on a ramp or driveway. I did mine on the driveway and it was hard getting the manifold out.

Might find jacking the engine up with a block of wood between the Jack and sump will bring it back into alignment to let you get the bolt in.

tombakers

Only just seen this this, yeah I did it on my back, if it was on a ramp it would of been much easier lol.