Turbo or Supercharger?

Tarmac

Advanced Member
From conversations I have had on this site with some sound lads, I am genuinely considering getting my DC5 beefed up with a supercharger. My understanding is that a supercharger is better than a turbo - am I correct? Any help appreciated.

kickmydog

Depends on your definition of better

Supercharger is always engaged because of the mechanical linkage which does mean that you have power all the time and you don't have to suffer loag. This also means that your fuel consumption is greater.

Turbochargers require less maintenance
Getting a turbocharger fitted is cheaper

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Supercharger is always engaged because of the mechanical linkage which does mean that you have power all the time and you don't have to suffer loag. This also means that your fuel consumption is greater.
Not true.

A JRSC is only on/in boost when your foot is down. Has an escape valve, so when cruising you are not in boost. Put your foot down and your in Boost. So for cruising, no difference in fuel consumption.

Turbochargers require less maintenance
A JRSC charger requires no maintence for 100000miles! then you just need to apply grease to bearings.

Getting a turbocharger fitted is cheaper
I can't comment, but my JRSC was fitted on a drive way using axel stands in 5-6 hours.

Mike

truffs

Turbo charger with the right parts = more powerful (mind you i am biased on this one :D ) They both have there pros and cons. Mikes got a supercharger and i have a turbo. If you want and if mike is ok with it we will publish or dyno charts so you can see a comparisent as they both have differences (obviously :!: ). it will next week though as Simon has kindly stated that he will do it for me :D

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
I agree m8, a turbo will give more power in the long run, bur with the correct parts.

But, in general a SC car, is more drivable with the same level of boost.

Turbo's give a lot more torque.

I've not got a scanner, so can't post up, but would have.

I don't claim to have the most powerful DC5 here, but maybe currently (coughs, thinks what might be on the cards) it's the most drivable :idea:

Mike

kickmydog

Superchargers are powered from the crankshaft and so are always engaged that's the whole point of a Supercharger over a turbocharger so I don't see the point in having one that introduces lag

Turbochargers require NO maintenance other than general driving consideration.

Anyway....if cost isn't too much of a consideration then I'd get the Supercharger unless it has an escape valve then I'd get the Turbo :)

Supercharging is the compression of an engine's intake charge above atmospheric pressure by means of an air pump driven by a crankshaft. This is not to be confused with a turbocharger which is an air pump that is exhaust driven. A supercharger can provide boost faster than a turbo and over a much broader engine rpm range. The disadvantages of supercharging are higher power demands, more mechanical noise and more complex control requirements

truffs

hmmm lag, what lag 8) mine picks up from 2.5k and wings around quite nicely to just under 9k hence the torque and bhp figure :D
seriously though i have driven scobbies and an evo and they can suffer from turbo lag. im very lucky in the fact that mine suffers very very little lag due to the range of the turbo being so great :D

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
What's Lag :wink: :wink:

New concept to me :D

Seriously, the different methods of forced induction have their own advantages and disadvantages.

The JRSC uses engine power to spin it, like said before. It operates all the time, but only applies +pressure (boost) when the driver demands it, and there is no lag, it's on when you demand.

Either FI techniques require proper engine management and that does cost, simple fact (I'm sure Truffs agrees).

Anyway, got to go to work :cry:

Mike