Turbo question

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
A couple of guys on here run turbos.

I'm no expert but from my understanding the standard internals on a K20 or any car for that matter should be ok to handle boost up to around 300bhp so long as it's correctly mapped. I could be wrong and most likely am ha ha!

Obviously having forged internals and low compression pistons etc would certainly help and would make your car a lot safer so if you have the funds go down that route, but I imagine as you're asking this question in the first place you don't have the money to buy forged internals?

Don't forget the K20 is a high compression non-aspirated engine so with a turbo or a supercharger you're going down the low compression route.

mckeving

I can easy get hold of the money in no rush to just bash a turbo on, I want it don't properly but was seeing if I could just get away with not doing the engine, even if it do go wrong I then would buy a new engine and do it,

So I would get away with 260bhp+ with a decent map?

Is low compression a good thing?

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
I'm no expert either but from what I can understand you will only be able to run waste gate pressure which is about 7 psi on standard internals safely anyway, which will be about 280- 300 bhp max any more that that and will need forging also any more than that and the diff may start to disintergrate which can be pricey! My pal has a forged turbod b16 which it running 380 bhp safely and is a handful to say the least. Rumour has it it pushed my pals c63 amg out the way not so long back

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Speak to TDi North and Dave C on here, they will answer any questions you might have.

I think 400 up is do able on a standard engine, look at the turbo ep3 TDi are supporting in time attack at the moment.

Jon is right about the diff though, think the don't read cope with more than 260bhp. Depending how it is driven.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
mckeving said:
I can easy get hold of the money in no rush to just bash a turbo on, I want it don't properly but was seeing if I could just get away with not doing the engine, even if it do go wrong I then would buy a new engine and do it,

So I would get away with 260bhp+ with a decent map?

Is low compression a good thing?
Turbos have to be low compression otherwise they won't work so you have to lower the compression but not ridiculously low, it's to do with engine detonation and pressure etc.

Have a read over this, explains it on here. Most performance Honda's or any race/rally car that is NA will be high compression where as turbos will be the other way around.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/compression_ratio_with_boost

For example The B series engine is a high compression engine where as the D series isn't so the D out of the box is better for boosting as it means you have a lesser risk of an engine going pop. It's once you start going into mega high bhp figures is where things get tricky as it's as that point that you ideally need forged internals but as above you could probably get away with it if it's been mapped well.

mckeving

I'm looking to get over 260bhp that was just the 1st number come into my head,

Does any1 recommend any turbo kit? That comes compleat with everything,

Brophy

Advanced Member
If only looking for over 260bhp turbo isn't for you i'd say lol

Just had my JRSC installed and mapped and running 290bhp.

Maybe that's what your after ?

truupR

Advanced Member
My mate has his turbo'd and is currently having his rebuilt - with a new engine - after it blew because of a snapped conrod. It was running 428bhp but not sure of the boost. Engine wasn't forged but judging by the fact that it went out with a bang - standard internals weren't up to the task.

TGM have almost finished rebuilding it with forged internals. I believe Tom said it should be able to run very similar power, safely, with the new setup. Don't quote me on that though.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
truupR said:
My mate has his turbo'd and is currently having his rebuilt - with a new engine - after it blew because of a snapped conrod. It was running 428bhp but not sure of the boost. Engine wasn't forged but judging by the fact that it went out with a bang - standard internals weren't up to the task.

TGM have almost finished rebuilding it with forged internals. I believe Tom said it should be able to run very similar power, safely, with the new setup. Don't quote me on that though.
To me, you're asking for trouble running that kind of power on standard internals. It's a matter of when not if that something disastrous would have gone wrong and it has for your friend.

If I were wanting to run big big power and I'm not saying 300bhp isn't, it clearly is. What I'm saying is anything over that figure I'd personally forge it even if costs and arm and a leg. It's just not worth the hassle of something like the above happening.

What are all the turbo and SC owners running on here. Forged internals or standard on their setups?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Crazylegs said:
What are all the turbo and SC owners running on here. Forged internals or standard on their setups?
they run standard till they either write the car off, strip it back to standard and sell it or the engine blows up.

if its the latter ever happens then they look at a rebuild with forged internals.

miki1212

Advanced Member
i dont think you can really compare a supercharger to a turbo, although 300+ is possible with a SC the torque figure is still relatively low, and its torque that will kill your engine and gearbox in the end.

raz786

Advanced Member
If you're not too worried about the cost mate speak to TDI North. They do a turbo kit for the DC5 so it would be supplied, fitted and mapped. Would take care of all you need I reckon. DaveC has a build thread on here with info and pics etc.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
There's also a good clip of the TDI north turbo build on YouTube somewhere, worth a watch.

truupR

Advanced Member
Thought of this today whilst driving home - if you have a turbo setup running on the teg, does the Vtec still function? or does it get sort of disabled to run like most other turbo cars?

Edit: I don't recall hearing a vtec sound whilst riding passenger in my buddies turbo teg... then again, I couldn't really distinguish much sound over the 3" system :S

miki1212

Advanced Member
of course you still have vtec, unless people opt for vtec killer cams, which is pointless on road cars

kazmo

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
I think 400 up is do able on a standard engine,
dont you mean up to 400 and not 400 up? i think 400 would push standard internals to breaking point! especially as you will probably have 300+ lbs torque with that power. yes it can be done but your engine wont last long! theres a few big power turbos on here, im sure they have built engines though most SC cars are stock internals as the SC route seems to be the way for quick cheap hp compared to turbo

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
kazmo said:
dont you mean up to 400 and not 400 up? i think 400 would push standard internals to breaking point! especially as you will probably have 300+ lbs torque with that power. yes it can be done but your engine wont last long! theres a few big power turbos on here, im sure they have built engines though most SC cars are stock internals as the SC route seems to be the way for quick cheap hp compared to turbo
Your right, was meant to be up to.

Your right about the torque but the likes of TDi do boost by gear etc so the chances of lunching anything is greatly reduced.