type R vs RX8

typer666

does anyone know how these two vehicles compare? costs, performance, maintenance etc? thanks in advance

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
typer666 said:
does anyone know how these two vehicles compare? costs, performance, maintenance etc? thanks in advance
Performance - the DC5 is quicker in all areas

Costs - the RX8 drinks petrol! You'll be lucky to see 200miles from a tank. Uses a lot of oil too...top up every other fill up

It is a nice car and there was word of a supercharged version so that would be interesting.

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Open your eyes!!! as mentioned above cost and performance are both better on the DC5, but have you seen how fugly the RX8 is? IMO they've compromised too much, they didn't want a four door but they want it to appeal to families so they put those stupid mini back doors on, the thing looks like a bad photoshop!!!

Just my subtle opinion.

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
here in Cyprus are too common, they are too cheap. The tax for importiing one is only like 300 pounds, because of the small engine...I must say i consider it, but only reason that i did not get one is because of the engine (Not so many people trained to work with Rotary engines) and also the fuel.. Looks its alright and the japanese version makes 247 hp , not 230 like the Euro version. Here you can find some imported cars with really nice body kits and some mods...

G4Z

luffy said:
The Mofo said:
but have you seen how fugly the RX8 is?
how fugly is it ?

I didn't realise it was fugly :| From some angles they look great, in the flesh i do like them alot 8) Some cars dont picture that good, like the DC5's rear bumper. It can look abit rude boyish :lol: on pics. A car like the RS focus looks great in pics but in the flesh there just bland.

Perfomance wise the DC5 has a slight edge in speed but its not what both cars are really about. Out an out track speed the DC5 is quicker but to take nothing away from the RX8 it does handle well and as seen on top gears power lap its no snail compared to the hatches over here. Only betered by the mk5 R32.

Archie

Advanced Member
Driven the mazda if you want four doors your welcome

the Dc5's soooo much quicker

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
typer666 said:
Archie said:

have you driven both to compare? on paper they are almost even
I have. The RX8 could have been a great car if it wasnt for the lack of power and the fact it drinks petrol

dan the man

Advanced Member
I have driven the high powered model RX8 and it didi feel flat, maybe its decieeving with how it works but just felt flat and over fussy deisgned.

DC5 and DC2 drivers cars, simple with good hardware 8)

robert_raw

my Dad drives my aunties RX8 and he said it didn't feel as fast as his Lude VTI and i think they are less powerful than the DC5?

Archie

Advanced Member
typer666 said:
Archie said:

have you driven both to compare? on paper they are almost even
Yes i have driven the higher powered mazda and after we compared them 2 together on the road :D

typer666

apparently its the smoothest acceleration up to 9.5k ? and that its power is decieving because its delivered soo smooth?

they are RWD? is that a an advantage over the FWD the integra has?

Gary

Advanced Member
I recently read a review from a sportscar journo who said that when he pushed the RX8 the MPG went into SINGLE :shock: :shock: :shock: figures and as far as I remember that wasn't even the higher power version - F**K that!!!

JiB

Advanced Member
RX8's break. Lots of failures everywhere...but does have very cool suicide doors.

You're better off with a nice Series 8 FD RX7 imho. 8) Change to sturdier apex seals and reliability should improve with the odd thrash.

But why you would want a rotary...it's just a unreliable Honda motor :p

No torque till 1 billion rpm :lol: :lol:

Lexx

Dont you just love the non-biased opinions you get on forums! lol

Im currently running a 231bhp RX-8 (slightly modified), and am selling up this year, and probably moving in the direction of a DC5.
But I wanna comment on some of the things youve said.
Drinks petrol : no more than most otehr performance cars. I average about 250-290 miles to a tank and I dont drive reserved at all.
Failures!!! There was an issue with some cat failures, and flooding issues. All sorted pretty quickly under warranty no hassles.
I grant you, looks are challenging at first. But they do grow on you.
Performance, yeah, lacks a little low end torque, and in a straight line you'd have me hands down. Get on some B-Roads, and i think you'll find it the other way. Ive been on a number of multi-marque meets, and rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight distribution beats frint wheel drive, front engined whenthinsg get twisty.

Anyways, thats my 2p worth.
I love my car, and will miss it greatly, but I want something different, and the DC5 has the looks Im after, for a reasonable price.

Hope I didnt ruffle any feathers, just trying to give the other sides opinions.

Cheers

Al