TypeGRRR vs "The - MPG vs DC5 thread"

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
Well after seeing DaveC's epic MPG thread, achieving an astonishing 43 MPG. I thought I'd have a little go.

Wednesday 11th Feb
Norwich to Work - 70 miles
Work to Home - 12 miles

Thursday 12th February
Home to Work - 12 miles
Work to Home - 12 miles

Friday 13th February
Home to Work -12 miles
Work to Home - 12 miles

Tuesday 17th February
Home to Work via Skoda- 13 miles
Work to Home via Skoda- 13 miles

Saturday 21st February
Home to TGM Motorsport - 113 miles
Tom at TGM Motorsport drive about - 7 miles
TGM Motorsport to Tiptree - 105 miles
Tiptree to Shell Garage 7 miles

Total mileage 385.5 miles
Total fuel 44.5 litres (didn't realise I had so much fuel left, could of easily cracked the 400 mile mark)

MPG = 39.4

I think that's a pretty good effort considering, it was 12 separate trips, my work run involves a lot of queuing in traffic (probably 15 minutes worth each day and each way). 7 miles was driven by Tom at TGM 'testing the car out'. ;) Plus I didn't stick at a measly 65mph either most of the driving dual/motorway driving was at 70-80mph. I did however manage to resist VTEC the whole tank (a first for me in over a years worth of ownership) and I only ever accelerated slowly and hardly used my brakes at all...

Just as well I've saved some wedge as my car had new discs and pads today... :xcry: wasn't expecting the need for a few more miles yet...

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Good achievement. Its good to know that IF you wanted to get good mpg with sacrificing the enjoyment its possible.

Evs

Advanced Member
Nice work 8)

I did 36k in my DC5 from new: best 39.1, worst 18.5, average 32.7

A couple of comparisons...
80k in a DC2 from new: best 35.0, worst 22.0, average 28.3
30k in an Accord i-CTDI from 65k up: best 48.0, worst 36.3, average 40.2.

Comparing the DC5 with the Accord and taking into account the higher price of diesel makes for interesting (and surprising) sums... :eek:

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
TypeGRRR said:
Tom at TGM drive about - 7 miles
Ahh,the TGM test drive/test route :eek:

Good fun or what.......Beats a track day...........anyday............ \:D/

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
chalkie said:
Ahh,the TGM test drive/test route :eek:

Good fun or what.......Beats a track day...........anyday............ \:D/
He went solo... so who knows what he got up to, but I bet it wasn't 40mpg stuff. :-"

I have been out with him though on his circuit before... 8)

JT3173

Advanced Member
Good efort, the most I ever managed was 380miles on a tank, not at will though, more to it being bad luck and driving at stupid O' clock in the morning. I was driving home from Germany to Warwickshire and once through Germany there are very few Shell stations on route that were open at that time in the morning so I planned ahead and drove like Miss Daisy at 70mph all the way. I almost got there after on a full tank but then decided on a slow drive at 50mph getting overtaken by trucks to ensure I did not run out.
I then had to contaminate my last few drops of Shell Racing V-Power (German name for it) with BP "Ultracrap" Ultimate at Oxford Services, but I did get home :xyes:

dave c

400hp K20
haha great results, tbh i would never expect to achieve mine again, i barely stopped for a whole tank and was bored out of my skull lol.

For example managed to disolve a tank in 270miles the other night driving to my parents house, whoops

great results ;)

JT3173

Advanced Member
dave c said:
haha great results, tbh i would never expect to achieve mine again, i barely stopped for a whole tank and was bored out of my skull lol.

For example managed to disolve a tank in 270miles the other night driving to my parents house, whoops

great results ;)
Is that it =D>

I managed about 4-5 laps on the Ring I seem to remember, that was almost empty, one more lap and I was facing a recovery bill \:D/

They do get thirsty if they are driven dont they, hey, at least its a fun way to spend money I guess!

gibbyboy

Advanced Member
Good effort =D>

However I am going to start a thread to see how little miles (road) I can get to a full tank.....

How low can you go, 90 miles?

This will be much more fun!

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
gibbyboy said:
However I am going to start a thread to see how little miles (road) I can get to a full tank.....

I can't see how anyone could dip under 200 miles a tank driving on the road...

gibbyboy

Advanced Member
TypeGRRR said:
gibbyboy said:

I can't see how anyone could dip under 200 miles a tank driving on the road...
I have never had more than 280 from a tank......

MrHanky

Advanced Member
Evs said:
Comparing the DC5 with the Accord and taking into account the higher price of diesel makes for interesting (and surprising) sums... :eek:
It really does. I am forever comparing the DC5 to my friends Megane 175 DCI. I consistently beat or match him pence per mile now. We both have motorway journeys and do a mixture of driving. There seems to be very little point in owning a diesel now days, unless it does well over 50mpg.

In fact I was only about 0.4p a mile off my wifes Mondeo TDCI.

I have actually just noticed that my mpg at the moment seems to be climbing slightly. Not sure why as I am driving a lot faster on certain sections of my route home. It was consistently at 33.xx mpg for 9 fillups, but for last 2 it has moved into 34mpg :D

Anyways, good work on MPG TypeGRRR. Its not something I like doing regularly, but when you do go for hyper miles, it can be quite fun ;)

Mark

Tim J

Advanced Member
Filled up yesterday after completing 254 miles - approx 44litres which works out as 25.xx mpg

General driving though mainly short drives to work and back - methinks the i-vtec engines prefers a steady 60mph to gain maximum mpg advantage - thankgod the price of Super is below the £1 mark :xlol:

Cheers

Tim J