Tyre Choice!!

Duncs

if they are the jap spec Advan 046s(check the sidewall if no load rating then they are jap spec) they are the best i use them on my track wheels,
great in the dry, not to clever in the wet.
go for a uk/euro spec for an all round softer sidewall tyre it also softens the ride in the car as well,
i run goodyear F1 GSD3s not the GSD1s.
its your own choice but stay away from cheapies :roll:

kingston

Advanced Member
what is the difference between jap and euro spec tyres?

They all come from the same factory so i cant see them having different moulds for different countries....

Duncs

it is all to do with the load rating, check your sidewall a couple of small lines of writing to do with the load the tyre can take.
Jap Advan 046s do not have this and as such fail the ESVA (i know) the Advans that are fitted to EVo 8s do not have this load rating either but Yokohama conducted the test for this size tyre(so data is avail and passes the ESVA) i think they are a 225 whilst ours are 215 and the data is not available for these.
most importers put on a set of uk/euro spec wheels for the ESVA then put the jap spec back on, if your car came with pots then these may have the load rating and therefore no probelm.
i am not sure but i think that honda went to Yoko and said make me a tyre for this car (DC5), so as it was never supposed to leave japan (DC5 JDM only) there was never an issue. the Advan has a sidewall which is very hard so excellent for a Fwd car.

muzzie

I've got the Jap Advan 046s on my DC5 8) They are so good!! Best tyre I've ever had. I take it I wont be able to buy new one's then :cry:

Duncs

no, is the short answer
yoko do other Advans, an A048 but i have no experience of what they are like

mikegsi

Staff member
heres teh results on it

Goodyear: 1050.4
Continental: 1031.9
Yokohama: 1027.0
Michelin: 1018.7
Hankook: 1015.4
Dunlop: 1002.2
Pirelli: 1002.1
Toyo: 999.7
Bridgestone: 993.9
BFGoodrich: 993.0
Kumho: 990.7

the actual brands were

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Continental ContiSportContact 2
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Goodyear Eagle F1
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxes T1R
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07

mikegsi

Staff member
i run those at the mo and on standard suspension wasnt too keen on them, preferred the potenza's. on my spoon springs though the f1's seem to work very well though.

would have liked them to have tested the 040's though or even the 010's

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
What do you guys think of the Yoko A539s i'm getting these for my car for a good price :)

kingston

Advanced Member
Had them on my last car (which in my opinion can out handle the Teg due to its small wheel base - Fiat Seicento) and love em, going back to yokos as soon as i my bridgestones run out :D

The Advan is the improved version, in my opinion but the a539 is still a good tyre

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
Getting 4 new yoko's fitted on sat, hopefully give me a bit more grip on these greasy roads we have at the mo :)