Tyre movement for a given camber increase?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
It might be an obvious answer but is there a way to calculate how much further the tyre will move inwards as camber increases negatively?

I want to see if I can avoid rolling the arches since the scrub is just near the top of the sidewall, and that is with -0.7 camber.
ET42 @ 7J wheels with 215/45 tyres.

spooke

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
It might be an obvious answer but is there a way to calculate how much further the tyre will move inwards as camber increases negatively?

I want to see if I can avoid rolling the arches since the scrub is just near the top of the sidewall, and that is with -0.7 camber.
ET42 @ 7J wheels with 215/45 tyres.
Maybe with some measurements of various parts you could work it out, but I think you could remove your suspension and disconnect that side of the ARB and physically test? Maybe that is too much effort... Curious to know if there is an easier way :p Failing that increase the rear camber to -1.00' to -1.30'? Depending on your front camber that may want increasing too.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Just finished working on the car and took the suspension off to test.

Current settings are:

Camber FL -1.34, FR -1.28, RL -0.53, RR -0.46

Toe FL/FR 0, RL 0.03, RR 0.04.

The rear left is just about touching but I can still spin the wheel. The rear right gets tight and I can only just spin the wheel. I think literally a couple of mm would allow clearance. Mike has suggested that 0.5deg would give about 5mm or so.

By the looks of it I could take rear camber to about -1.1/ -1.2 or so.

spooke

Advanced Member
Yeah I think if you were to increase the rear camber you'd be ok, my rear wheels are ET47 7J with -1.30' camber and they clear fine.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I'll keep the front camber the same at -1.30 ish and the rear camber will still be less if I go -1.1.

The Buddyclub P1s I have only come in ET42, but they were bought as track wheels years ago that are now my only set. It just means I can only just run 215 width tyres without having the arches rolled!