Tyre Squeal

hsvgtsuk

After much research on the matter (well reading the forum!), I decided to go for a set of Goodyear Eagle GSD3's. They improved the handling no end of the "Fullrun" shite that were on there when I collected the car.

However, I now have a problem with tyre squeal! Its bad enough looking like a complete tosser when you're going round the outside of some dawdling numpty on a roundabout, but to advertise the fact to the rest of the world with the tyres screaming! Not good.

I have looked at various factors, road surface, weather conditions, tyre wear, geometry, but having done some back to back testing with my wifes S2K, it still comes back to the tyres.

The other dynamic difference that I have also noticed is in other cars, you can "lean" on the tyres though a corner. I don't seem to be able to do this with the Teg, and it feels "light" with no real bite. Just doesn't inspire the confidence when commiting to a corner. Cornering speed and grip are fine, so there is no real dynamic down fall, just really down to a feel thing. Again, I think this is down to tyre choice, rather than chassis set up.

I do use the car every day, so tyre wear has to be reasonable (e.g not track day rubber), but I do want a tyre that works well, and suits the chassis.

So, based on all this, what else do people recommend?

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
I have GSD3's on 2 sets of wheels and have never had an issue with squealing - or lack of confidence for that matter!

Have you checked country of manufacture of your tyres - there is a thread on here somewhere about inferior Goodyears being sold from China IIRC. Not nearly as good as the German ones you should have been sold.

celox performance

Advanced Member
I use the F1 GDS3 and find them very good, although like you say, I do get tyre squeal, but only on track (on their limits) and not on the road :?

The sidewall is soft so some of the steering feedback will go, although they do provide plenty of grip. I can 'lean' on my tyres and find it better using a lower tyres pressure so run 26psi (front) and 28psi (rear). I don't know what tyre pressures you're running but it may help to lower them and will help with the light steering.

hsvgtsuk

Yeah....

Read the thread on the China made Goodyears, and unfortunatly mine are from there!

Went to my local tyre place and they looked at me like I was mad! Get the feeling, even if I went else where, they may look at me in a funny way if I requested that I only take a German made version!!

Problem is now, once bitten twice shy and all that.

So, any other suggestions?

Personally haven't had many good experiences with Bridgestones, but if the car was developed on them......?!?!?! Was thinking of the RE050's?

hsvgtsuk

Oh....

Will give the tyre pressures a go. Normally run mine at 30-32psi. Never really go below that, but its worth a go.

As for the only squealing on track, yeah.... I may drive a little fast on road (only when conditions are suitable and all that!)

The Mofo

Advanced Member
hsvgtsuk said:
Yeah....

Read the thread on the China made Goodyears, and unfortunatly mine are from there!

Went to my local tyre place and they looked at me like I was mad! Get the feeling, even if I went else where, they may look at me in a funny way if I requested that I only take a German made version!!

Problem is now, once bitten twice shy and all that.

So, any other suggestions?

Personally haven't had many good experiences with Bridgestones, but if the car was developed on them......?!?!?! Was thinking of the RE050's?
The RE050's are a very good all round tyre and will suit your purpose of day to day driving. They have a very stiff side wall which makes the ride a bit more choppy. They do squeal but only when pushed to the absolute limit.