Tyre wear on inside or outside?

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Wanting to know when car is driven hard (ie trackdays etc) is it the inside or outside of the front tyres that wears most?

I have a set of part worn tyres that i'm fitting to my newly refurbed trackday wheels. They are already worn more on one side than the other so trying to decide which way round to fit them. They are not directional or anything so can fit them either way round methinks.

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
It's usually the outside that gets the most wear as that is the loaded side of the tyre during hard cornering. :idea:

Judging by where u r from, then I'd say the outside of the front passenger side will take an absolute pounding round the track..............assuming you're going to Knockhill!! :wink:

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
Cheers Andy - yes trying to get ready for the next Knockhill trackday!

Will put the one with most tread on the front left and in general put the meat to the outsides.

Duncs

my jap spec Advans(my trackday tyres) have worn on the outside edges all 4 of them.
but the wear has been fairly even across the whole tyre, these have now done 5 trackdays, a tyre that i would buy again if i could.
they will probably do 1 more trackday!!!
some lads were at my last one with an Alpha as a £300 one day only trackday car, it went through 3 nearside front tyres (the 1 that was on, one from the back and the spare) all down to the nylon mesh.
i put the inherently good wear down to the way our cars are set up and the spec of the tyre i have been using, its all about sidewall strength.

so choose carefully your trackday tyres,

SpideyMack

Advanced Member
My tyres are freebies. The local Toyota garage keeps aside tyres for me that are undamaged and with a bit of life left in them. At the moment it seems to be mostly Pirelli P6000's - maybe Celicas have them as standard?