Tyre width and tread query

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I've got 2 new RE070's to put on the front of the car soon. The reasons for buying are that the rear passenger side tyre is wearing from the inside so I plan on putting the tyres that are on the front currently, (Goodyear Eagles) on to the rear and stick the Bridgestones on the front. I have a few issues though.

The Eagles on the front are 215 width and the rears (Currently Dunlops) are 225 so if I put the Bridgestones on the front it will be running slighty thinner tyres at the rear - does this matter and will it affect handling at all? I'm thinking is perhaps just getting another set of RE070's so I'm running them all round (225 width)?

I'm begrudged doing this really as it's expensive, in addition to this the Eagles still have plenty of tread on them and it seems a waste to take them off, my worry is running two totally different tyre treads and widths may upset the balance of the car.

What are people's opinions on this?

dave7368

Advanced Member
My front tyres are 2 sizes bigger, and wheels 1'' wider than the rears. Never noticed any affect on the handling.. though mine does only drive around the sankey lane yard apparently.. there are quite a few running bigger wheels/tyres on the front.

Cennix1

My initial thought is that on a FWD car there wouldn't be much difference. Having said that have you considered your insurance potentially kicking up a fuss if something happens?

Mattz

Advanced Member
Lots of people run staggered wheel setups (245 front and 225 rear is common) so shouldn't be an issue. I remember watching a bestmotoring video of all the aftermarket tuners racing DC5's and they all had wider front tyres compared to the rear.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
That's going to be fine Marc. no issues.

If you can, I would completely sack off the goodyears... terrible tyres for our cars. your handling will vastly improve with something that doesn't have sidewalls made of jelly.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
If your buying 2 more re070s then dont bother with openeo as im still waiting for mine to turn up, utter crap delivery #weeksnotdays

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nice one guys thank you all for your replies. I'm in work at the moment so I'll reply properly later on. Cheers.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cennix1 said:
My initial thought is that on a FWD car there wouldn't be much difference. Having said that have you considered your insurance potentially kicking up a fuss if something happens?
In what way would they kick up a fuss sorry? It's not like I'm running no tyres whatsoever lol.

Jimmer said:

If you can, I would completely sack off the goodyears... terrible tyres for our cars. your handling will vastly improve with something that doesn't have sidewalls made of jelly.
I think I might actually, they're awful the Eagles; I've always hated them. It's just costing me a bomb already this car and I'm not overly happy with how it's running after the remap as it's not pulling very well, it's lumpy low down and seems restricted but that could be the exhaust.

I could do with getting out on a proper decent run once the geo is all done next week as the new pads are starting to bed in now, I think the car could do with a good few hours decent run out but yes, I will probably order another set of RE070's and stick them on all round.

Thanks mate.

CaLi said:
If your buying 2 more re070s then dont bother with openeo as im still waiting for mine to turn up, utter crap delivery #weeksnotdays
I get mine from Camskill Ian, have never had any problems with them their service is excellent.

Besides, you don't even drive your car as it is so I don't know why you've bought new tyres haha!

Joking btw mate. lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:

James you bugger! Two more RE070's ordered haha!

p1tse

Advanced Member
Tyres resolved lol

Asking on a forum always ends up more expensive

Shame about the car not running right after remap, was nothing picked up when being tuned?

When was the last service, plugs changed etc.?
Shame you‘re not local as could try mine as a comparison

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Tyres resolved lol

Asking on a forum always ends up more expensive

Shame about the car not running right after remap, was nothing picked up when being tuned?

When was the last service, plugs changed etc.?
Shame you‘re not local as could try mine as a comparison
Ha ha definetely resolved lol

TBH I hate the Eagles so I may as well change them while I can but once all this is done, that will be the last of the spending.

Unsure when the plugs were last done, I might get some new ones. I think it may have been 2012 you know bud. My head is pecked at the moment after work and college and I'm away all weekend but I will take a look over the paperwork again when I get back.

Nothing picked up when it was being tuned no, not as far as I'm aware. I was a tad puzzled he didn't tune it from scratch but he knows better than me with these things I guess so I let him crack on.

Cennix1

Crazylegs said:
In what way would they kick up a fuss sorry? It's not like I'm running no tyres whatsoever lol.
I was just speaking from hearing a friends experience. He was in an accident and the insurance tried to pull a fast blaming the tyres.

Seemed stupid to me too, anyway I asked him yesterday and he told me they backed down pretty fast anyway so never mind.

This thread is making me want to upgrade my tires too now... I have had Eagle F1s all around for a few years :xyes: