Tyres again guys!

AdrianK

Advanced Member
My 2 front tyres are nearly finished, the car curreently has Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's all round.

I have not been overly impressed with them really and am considering some different ones to replace the 2 worn ones. Will it be ok to have different tyres front rear or am i better off sticking with the goodyears, as i am not going to be replacing all 4.

Have considered Yoko AVS sports, pirelli P0 Neros and maybe bridgestone RE050's, any opinions on which would be the best choice, bearing in mind rubbish roads locally and fairly stiff coilovers on the car.

Many thanks

adrian

Evs

Advanced Member
Interesing opinion on the Goodyears, I quite like them and I also have stiff coilovers. What don't you like about them? That would help us suggest alternatives...

AdrianK

Advanced Member
Main issue is basically a real feel of lack of grip at the front end on tighter bends, car is prone to understeer (maybe i am expecting too much from them) on roundabouts and other tighter corners.

Car feels ok on slightly less severe bends, but also at higher speeds the tyres feel as tho there is a bit of slop in them, astho the sidewalls are flexing under gradual cornering at higher speeds (such as lane changes on motorway).

Evs

Advanced Member
I'd suggest Yoko A046 or Bridgestone RE050 then as they're a bit stiffer. Pirelli P-Zeros might be in the same category but I haven't tried them. Harder compound though so less mechanical grip in cold & wet than the Goodyears.

My 2p anyway...

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
I have yokos, very good imo, but in the wet there ok but with 220bhp on tap which tyre can cope lol.

AdrianK

Advanced Member
If i did go for the Bridgestone RE050's which model do people reccomend as there are 2 main types RE050 or RE050A, and also about 5 variations of each type!

HELP, and how do these compare to the yoko AVS sports and Goodyear GSD3?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
how is your suspension setup? it is more than likely not an issue with tyres as goodyears are as good as anything else out there of that tyre type.

get your geometry checked and a fast road setup done. this may help with front end grip,

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
GSD3s are highly rated....remember a review i posted on this forum a while ago, ranked first among top brands like michelin and bridgestone. I was actually considering to get some . The new Michelin Pilot sport ps2 must be good, but pricey.

sherv14

Advanced Member
Im currently running on proxies.

Changing all 4 tyres to Yoko AVS sports this week. If anyone wants 2 Toyo proxie tyres with a fair amount of tread left let me know.

dotty

Advanced Member
sherv14 said:
Im currently running on proxies.

Changing all 4 tyres to Yoko AVS sports this week. If anyone wants 2 Toyo proxie tyres with a fair amount of tread left let me know.
Are they T1R or S mate?

If they are S I could be interested :D

AdrianK

Advanced Member
The suspension is D2 coilovers, they were fitted by TGM.

I am gonig to have a fast road setuop done, but wil do this straight after i get the new tyres put on so will need to make the decision on tyres before that comes along.

Does anyone know how the wear rate compares between the GSD3's and RE050A's, as the eagles have only lasted about 8000 miles or so....

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Mine seem to be wearing fine, I haven't really had it long enough/done enough miles to say for certain. I only used to get 8000 or so out of the S02s on my DC2, so I'd be happy with that on the DC5 as it has a more aggressive geometry setup (fast road).

gaz3434

Advanced Member
I have had the Yoko AVS Sports on since last May and probably have about 5-6,000 miles left on them (having done about 7,000 so far). I have found them to be an excellent tyre overall; good dry & wet grip and not too soft a tyre wall. Plus, I got them for £90 each fitted so they were a bargain to boot! :D

I had Bridgestone RE-01's on before that (were on the car in Japan) and although the dry grip was amazing, it was only when they warmed up a bit that they were really good. In the wet they were slightly unpredictable grip-wise and the side wall was rock solid, which gave lots of road noise and made for a slightly uncomfortable ride on the roads in my area.

So I'd say the Yokos were a good move and the best compromise for the RE-01's.

sherv14

Advanced Member
They are T1-S mate but it seems to be frickin impossible to get hold of the avs sports anytime soon, so im going to get 2 Toyo T1-R and stick the good S's on the front.

Soz mate.

dotty

Advanced Member
sherv14 said:
They are T1-S mate but it seems to be frickin impossible to get hold of the avs sports anytime soon, so im going to get 2 Toyo T1-R and stick the good S's on the front.

Soz mate.
No worries pal ;)