Tyres- Expiration?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

Bought a set of Ad08r's in June 2017. Done around 4k on them

Wondering how long tyres last and if there is an expiration on them? Got a spa/ring trip coming up and wanted to make sure they're still okay.

Cheers

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm assuming that as long as they have tread left on them then they're fine? I don't think they'll have an expiry date on them as such, it's not like they're a tin of baked beans lol

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Just thought the rubber can age too. That's when they go hard and begin to crack

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Just thought the rubber can age too. That's when they go hard and begin to crack
It might do mate, it would make sense as I imagine everything has an expiry date on it but tyres and rubber are quite robust. I'd say if you're unsure then change them. Last thing you want going on you at a high speed circuit like that is your tyres going.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
It might do mate, it would make sense as I imagine everything has an expiry date on it but tyres and rubber are quite robust. I'd say if you're unsure then change them. Last thing you want going on you at a high speed circuit like that is your tyres going.
Yeah that was exactly my worry. If they were just to plod around town then i wouldnt worry

Mike9000

Advanced Member
IIRC UV damage plays a big part - No expiry as such but from experience tyres definitely deteriorate with age and exposure.

Mike9000

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I'm sure I've read somewhere that 4 to 5 years is the recommendation
Recently changed 5.5 year old Michelin‘s on my CR-V, hard, starting to crack and grip had deteriorated a lot. Some tread left so not fully worn. 5 year old tyres on my DC5 when landing in the UK were all shot, even with decent tread left (5mm or so) they were gone.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Also check the 'date of manufacture' of the tyre. Most likely it will be different to when you actually bought them.

There will be 4 digits on the tyre wall, if i remember right, first two identify which week of the year, other two identify year.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Yeah think you're right mebz. In terms of UV exposure, they've spent most of there life in the garage haha

ste01

Advanced Member
Just check them for any signs of them perishing. Rubber doesn't do well sat about, same with any other rubber parts

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Yeah i guess its like a rubber band. If you leave it without stretching it, then it will become hard and start to crack.

Guess i have to just take it for a drive a little more.

Haven't driven it since early December.