Tyres for track newbie

Skote

I'm a recent convert to Integras, but because I'm on a budget I've just got myself a DC2 (UK spec, factory fit in Championship White with lightweight Sparco grey alcantara seats). There's a DC5 with my name on it, I just need to get a raise!
I've been offered a free hour on a track but having never done it before I want to know if I will eat my tyres (currently Pirelli P7000, I want some Bridgestone PE010s from Micheldever Tyres). Is it worth trying to pick up some second hand slicks? You see, I have an awful feeling I'm really going to get hooked......

Skote

Thanks for the tip. I take it by inference then that my road tyres will get eaten very quickly?

ps2london

Advanced Member
Trung said:
Road tyres will last a lot longer than semi and full slicks.
this is very hard to say. all depend how u drive, differnet between u driving a new track or attacking for a one good quilfly lap at race.

ALL road tyres are shit anyway compare with semi slicks.

if u want to have a set of cheap road tyres for track day, ask the tyres shop, they must have our size at Bin easy last one or two trackday, paid fitting for 20 pounds for 4 wheels + 1pt of beer.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Trung said:
Road tyres will last a lot longer than semi and full slicks.
No way road tyres will last longer than semi's or slicks.. if you are driving hard on track road tyres would only last me about 2 track days if I was lucky ...

Semis easy last me 4 - 5 ..

UW

Skote

I think the answer is to try it for myself then. I was of the opinion that road tyres would wear quicker. As with most material things, what it boils down to is how much I have to spend and how often I'll go I guess....

T666YPR

The fronts of my Yokohama A046's lasted 3 trackdays before I swopped with rears.
@375 miles out of 4500 total

Skote

Ouch! Mind you Yokos are very soft aren't they, so I'm not totally surprised. I haven't had my DC2 long enough to go though a set of tyres yet, but I'm told 10,000 miles for a set of 4 is good going if I can make it.