Tyres

morgan

Advanced Member
Well, Andy has sourced my DC5 - and she is a stunner. Happy man indeed.

She does however need new shoes.

Now, I dont really care ref ultimate grip, super-sticky-slicks etc as I do a large amount of miles and durability is important. My DC2 used to have RE010s on it, these lasted ~15-20K pretty good really.

So - What tyres do we recemmend ? Andy mentioned the ones fitted to the FD2 as a possibility.

Thoughts ?

Thanks !

Boab01

Personally given the time of year I'd be looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, not madly expensive decent grip and great wet performance.

The Bridgestone RE070 fitted to the FD2 are an amazing tyre from the looks of things but there aren't many about and they are looking like £170 a tyre. Keep asking for them though because I'll be looking for a set in about 10k miles ;)

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've got the F1 GSD 3 on mine after coming from the Yokohama A048 cut slicks and Kumho KU15 track tyres.

I've used all 3 makes of tyre both on track and on road so can compare them against each other and to be honest the F1's were the best on the road and performed just as well as the Yoko A048 on track :D . In the wet they are outstanding. They can be picked up for as little as £280 from Ebay, but only buy the German made ones. The German made tyres are safer and made from a different compound so grip better :wink:

200BHPCARS

Cars Trader
Hi morgan,

I defiently agree with the comments on here about the time of year.

You should be looking for a Winter tyre, Good durability, Great Grip in the Wet - and on the rare occasion it is above 10'C over the next 5 months and not raining then the grip will be good in the dry anyway from a high performance wet tyre.

I have heard about the Eagle F1 GSD3 tyre - i can ask for a price on these in Japan if you like - The price including fitting is around the same as the Trade price for tyres here in the UK.

Also ask conoroniel on here about tyre prices - i know he is in the trade and i bet he can give you a great deal on a performance tyre as well as giving you 1st hand experience of what works on Dc5's in the winter.

drop him a PM :wink:

Wardy7

Advanced Member
I got 2 Eagle F1 GSD3 the other week. Meant to be £75 + VAT, including fitting but they just charged me £150 for them both :)

Think the going rate was basically £75 + VAT at the 3 places I spoke to.

Cheers
Wardy

Boab01

WOW! that's an awesome price.

Think the FD2 tyre of choice will be the Eagle F1 for me when the tyres wear as I can't seem to find anyone that is likely to stock the RE070 :(

keevster

Advanced Member
Danny, i've been searching for the 070s too, cant locate them anywhere???

I am going to opt for Bridgestone 010s, i have heard 2 opinions on these tyres, good in the wet, excellent in the dry :lol:

Tyres aint an issue for me on whether its winter or summer tyre, if its cold and wet, i drive like a nun :lol: , bad enough pushing the car in the dry :lol: , in the wet, its a death wish :wink:

Paul

Boab01

Nope looks like it's import only for the 070s. From the people I've spoken to the run 010s on the S2000 they aren't so wonderful in the wet but if you drive like a nun then it's nothing to worry about :D

tron2k3

Advanced Member
You can get the r070's in 225 45 17 fitment, which should be ok.

Or you could go for the Yoko Neova A07's which are pretty awesome

Boab01

Where can you get the 070s Tron? I can't find em anywhere, not the right fitment for me need 18 :( but it'll be good to know where to buy.

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I have been in contact with Bridgestone UK and they have told me that they are not currently making or plan to be making the RE070s in 215/45/17. This could all change obviously but I am just telling you what I have been told. I am aware that a RE070 is available in this size in Japan but is a different compound than that of the UK RE070.

To be honest the best tyre I have used on the DC5 is the Bridgestone RE050A (asymmetric tread pattern).

Great all weather grip, great wear, no tram-lining.

The only cons of the RE050A is that they're quite expensive and they do produce quite a bit of road noise, but if you can live with the noise and are prepared to shell out and extra few quid per corner then go for them.

I would also strongly advise you to go for this tyre in 'Extra load' (XL). Ths just means that the sidewalls are slightly more reinforced than that of the standard RE050 and really sharpens the 'turn in' of the tyre and compliments the DC5's handling.

If you want to try something different then I would recommend Pirelli P-Zero Rossos or Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s.

I'm not a huge fan of Toyo or Michelin in general although in some sizes and patterns they hold their own.

alg2500

Any of you tried falkan 452's?

I use them and they are awesome tyre for the price. I've tried Eagles and Toyo T1R's and have to say I prefer the 452's.

Stevieg

Advanced Member
conoroneill said:
I have been in contact with Bridgestone UK and they have told me that they are not currently making or plan to be making the RE070s in 215/45/17. This could all change obviously but I am just telling you what I have been told. I am aware that a RE070 is available in this size in Japan but is a different compound than that of the UK RE070.

To be honest the best tyre I have used on the DC5 is the Bridgestone RE050A (asymmetric tread pattern).

Great all weather grip, great wear, no tram-lining.

The only cons of the RE050A is that they're quite expensive and they do produce quite a bit of road noise, but if you can live with the noise and are prepared to shell out and extra few quid per corner then go for them.

I would also strongly advise you to go for this tyre in 'Extra load' (XL). Ths just means that the sidewalls are slightly more reinforced than that of the standard RE050 and really sharpens the 'turn in' of the tyre and compliments the DC5's handling.

If you want to try something different then I would recommend Pirelli P-Zero Rossos or Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s.

I'm not a huge fan of Toyo or Michelin in general although in some sizes and patterns they hold their own.
I'm currently looking for new tyres as well and it's a toss up between the Bridgestone RE050s or the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s.

Have you tried the Goodyears if so how did they compare to the Bridgestones?

Also I dont get all these end codes and the different countries - such as LZ, MZ, EZ, CZ. I just want to know which is the best one to go for the DC5!

I use the car to commute as well as the occasional blat so i guess they need to be good all year round!

I tried the Bridgestone RE010 and S2s on my old DC2 and the RE010s were awesome. Also tried Toyos but found them crap on the DC2 but great on the Evo!

tedg

Advanced Member
swapped 040 to 050s on the front and they are a lot better - particually in the wet.

keendeano

Looking at mytyres.co.uk, what part number am I after? As there seems to be a few RE050A tyres. Also would it be ok to mix the tyres as I want to replace the rears? (The fronts have RE10's in good condition)
How long do they last with normal fast road driving approx? Guessing 10k on the rear, 6-8k on the front? Thanks